Author Topic: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?
« Reply #81 on: Friday 24 July 20 06:47 BST (UK) »
But, when you say : 'His discharge cert from the cavalry describes him as a man of superior education and manners . . . . ' where is this document, I need to know, to see it for myself !    Somehow it seems a compensation for what was to come after in his life.   

The discharge cert is in the pension papers on Ancestry that you mentioned in your very first post.  When you open the documents, they start at image 9685.  If you back track there are more documents, the cert is at 9682, here's a link:
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pr2/

I should have added a word of explanation to the segment dealing with the 3rd and 6th DG.  His records show he was at Seaforth from 10 Sep 1913 to 4 Nov 1913 and then at Newport until 20 Dec 1913 when he was posted to 6th DG at Canterbury.  Seaforth was Seaforth Barracks on Merseyside which was the cavalry training depot for those regiments (and some others) until the first week of November 1913 when it moved to Newport, hence the two  locations.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 24 July 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ  -  I certainly echo the words of Mckha489  - that is amazing to have found his death entry.  Thank you so much.   My sister lives in Devon, I will ask her to go take a look at the address !
Perhaps he lived a peaceful, blame-free life in his later years, in touch with his daughter Mary and her family.   Though there are those years up until 1965 to look into !

I see the time you both made the posts was 5.45 today - was that in Great Britain 5.45am, because that was extreme dedication.  Or was it 5.45 in another country ?
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 24 July 20 09:44 BST (UK) »
MaxD  -  Thank you for additional information.  I do like lots of explanation, especially when it is a subject I do not know much about. (military).    I have not been able to see the pension papers on Ancestry , it was his enlistment papers I had looked at but I do not have Ancestry membership at the present time.

So much learnt about this James Arthur Fisher / James Annersley Fisher since page 1 when I first posted my question.   All thanks to the help and generosity of folks on this website.

Just wish he had spent his last years writing his story down !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 24 July 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
My sister lives in Devon, I will ask her to go take a look at the address !

Just Google it. It's a guest house.

I see the time you both made the posts was 5.45 today - was that in Great Britain 5.45am, because that was extreme dedication

Yes in UK. Woke up at 4 and couldn't get back to sleep.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 24 July 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Looking in the Gazette, there were several deaths at Cookshayes House in 1965. It appears to have been a nursing home at that time.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 24 July 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Sent 6.47 (am) UK time Friday, (5.47 NZ time Friday) early start, needed to finish painting the garden fence!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 25 July 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
I was struck by the similarity of the "mental kink" excuses given in the 1917 (bogus captain)  and 1922 (bogus doctor) trials:

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thought you might have given up on James Arthur Fisher , thinking I had more than enough help with him !

I had not looked at the the entries on the bogus doctor because I had thought he surely wouldn't go that far!   Will take a look later today at your posting.

I thought the it was interesting Gertrude Ellen Fisher was called 'an artist'  when she came back to England in 1957.   

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
ShanuJ may well be doing the same as I am now - looking for evidence that James Arthur Fisher of the Jan 1917 court appearance had in fact been discharged and was awaiting re-instatement of his commission.

His commission in 14 Battalion in  Oct 1914 and his promotion to Captain  in Mar 1916 are both supported by London Gazette entries.   The appearance in 11 Battalion in France in July 1917 would seem to be him, the battalion cross checking with the 11 Warwicks man hoping to join the RAF.

The fact that he had been discharged was stated by the Assistant Provost Marshal not by Fisher so on the face of it is correct.  The fact that he was awaiting reinstatement was Fisher's statement

Thus far, I find nothing in the LG for the period Mar 1916 and Jan 1917.

However as mentioned before, his promotion to Capt :
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29547/page/3921 has the intriguing "late temp capt" against his name which does suggest someone who has been out of the service and is being brought back to the rank he previously held.  (Lily - take no notice of the "temporary" - it means wartime commission).

The missing link is evidence of the earlier discharge. 

ShaunJ may wish to comment?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk