Author Topic: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 23 July 20 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thomas George Taylor, if we have the right man, looks as though he served with the Gordon Highlanders for the duration of WW1. His medal index card suggests he first went to France on 8 July 1915, and by the end of the war he was a Lieutenant Colonel with the DSO.His officer's service record is on Fold3, with an enlistment year of 1905, and a marriage date of 21 July 1910, I can't see any more than that as I do not have a Fold3 subscription.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 23 July 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
So much more info to absorb !   I too couldn't find a James Annesley Fisher for those date.  It was obviously officially recognised he went by both names, or sometimes all of them - James Arthur Annesley Fisher  -  but why ?    Using Annesley as a middle name certainly sets him apart from all the other men named James Arthur Fisher, so he wanted to be noticed !

On his marriage in 1915 he gives his father as James Annesley Fisher Decd then on 1946 marriage as Major J A A Fisher Decd (interesting they are both Decd  - and probably fictitious) who supposedly was in the 10th Hussars !  and interesting that J A A  - James Arthur Annesley  perhaps!

The parents of my  JAF of course were Charlotte (Hunt) and James Arthur Fisher, butcher.  Charlotte left the marriage around 1901, I think his father died in 1911 - I have sent for his death cert.

MaxD  - thank you for that info and explanation, very helpful.   I am coming to the conclusion this is all about the same man and about my relative -  I would like to see a dob though somewhere on documents to clinch it.   I believe my JAF was born 17/2/1891.    Mind, he is just as likely to change that to suit him !

Who knows why he gave Mrs Taylor living in Bournmouth as his mother and next of kin in 1918.   In 1913 in his army papers he gives as his next of kin as his sister Beatrice, which is correct - she is his older sister, his mother gone off and his father likely dead.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
I believe my JAF was born 17/2/1891

That's interesting. The Ministry of Defence holds records for a JA Fisher born 17 February 1898. Perhaps he lied about his age when joining the RAFVR in 1940:

A453868/42 FISHER JA      1898-02-17
A133253/40 FISHER JA      1898-02-17
A311646/41 FISHER JA       1898-02-17
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:07 BST (UK) »

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ -  anything is possible with this blaggard !     I have the actual date in my aunt's birthday book, she was a member of the Hunt / Aston family.   His baptism was in 1894, doesn't give actual date of birth (none given for any of the children) but was done along with his older sister Beatrice.   So what you have found is interesting.  Now does the day and month at least correspond to someone with the name James Annesley Fisher ?!

What period of time do you think he was in Kenya ?   I have tired looking for any information on coffee plantations in Kenya etc but nothing has come from it.

I am copying into a Word document all entries people have so kindly made on here in answer to my original question and working through putting it all into some sort of date order and timeline and comparing entries for James Arthur Fisher and James Annesley Fisher.

You have  managed to answer my original question I think - 'Was James Arthur Fisher a Captain '? -
and provided so much more than I ever imagined !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:37 BST (UK) »
What period of time do you think he was in Kenya ?   I have tired looking for any information on coffee plantations in Kenya etc but nothing has come from it.

I haven't found him on any passenger lists (yet) but I did find Gertrude Ellen Fisher visiting the UK from Kenya in 1953 and 1956.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
Possibly here

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FBT27%2F1026%2F00%2F0007%2FP%2F0005F&parentid=TNA%2FBT27%2F1026000007%2F00150

captain J.A. Fisher coffee planter. Address in UK 21 Leinster Gdns, Lancaster Gate  W.2.  Age 29
Travelling From Cape Town. Per “Briton” departure 5 Jan 1923

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
James Arthur Fisher
Arrival Age:   35
Birth Date:   abt 1893
Port of Departure:   Durban, South Africa
Arrival Date:   17 Sep 1928
Port of Arrival:   Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage:   Algoa Bay [Port Elizabeth]; Cape Town; Madeira; East London
Ship Name:   Saxon Castle

Occ Planter
Address in UK. Cottrell & sons, 10 Easy Row, B’ham

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 23 July 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
Address in UK. Cottrell & sons, 10 Easy Row, B’ham

The address given for Beatrice in 1913 was similar: