Author Topic: Have we been here before?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Have we been here before?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 July 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
It's quite uncanny how life repeats itself!
I've read both the Ken Follett and Daniel Defoes books and the parallels are remarkable. Perhaps we should soak our masks in vinigar before going out...

I'm still not convinced we'll get a vaccine that will be conclusive... they've never found one for malaria or aids or influenza..... the thought that this could debilitate countries for years to come doesn't bear thinking about...

It's hard to think that life won't be the same again.... it's like being in a bad dream and hoping you'll wake up and it's all gone!

You have to wonder if something like this comes round every so often as a natural culling of humanity and to bring us all up short as we've all over indulged in life... a wake up call I suppose....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
This morning I came across details of a 2011 film directed by Stephen Sonerbergh  called 'Contagion' which apparently has become very popular home viewing during lockdown.  It is the story of a virus which escapes from a Chinese lab and causes a pandemic followed by societal melt-down;  so just the sort of thing we need to cheer us up currently.

I asked daughter whether it was worth watching.  "Put it like this" she replied.  "It certainly mirrors this pandemic well because it goes on for so long that you end up feeling bored with it".

I think I might watch it anyway.  Free with Prime.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:17 BST (UK) »

I asked daughter whether it was worth watching.  "Put it like this" she replied.  "It certainly mirrors this pandemic well because it goes on for so long that you end up feeling bored with it".

I think I might watch it anyway.  Free with Prime.

Hi G

I think we've all been through enough already, with some still facing challenges, so won't be watching it.

Despite an old condition, I'm trying to keep my body's vital power up physically and mentally as much as possible.

Take care, Mark

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
It's quite uncanny how life repeats itself!

I'm still not convinced we'll get a vaccine that will be conclusive... they've never found one for malaria or aids or influenza..... the thought that this could debilitate countries for years to come doesn't bear thinking about...

It's hard to think that life won't be the same again.... it's like being in a bad dream and hoping you'll wake up and it's all gone!

You have to wonder if something like this comes round every so often as a natural culling of humanity and to bring us all up short as we've all over indulged in life... a wake up call I suppose....

Caroline
Yes, YES and YES!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
I've been struggling to concentrate to read . I'd planned on making my way through the pile of 'books to read' on my shelf during lockdown but I haven't got very far. Is it just me?
I have however got quite a nice tidy garden and an oven that's been cleaned!
North East of England

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
I've tried to put aside an hour or so every afternoon to read, although sometimes I fall asleep! I have about 300 books on my Kindle, so I'm working my way through some I read quite a few years ago.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:34 BST (UK) »

We watched the ‘Inferno’ DVD the other night, - adapted from the Dan Brown book, and starring Tom Hanks. It’s the one about a plot to release a virus which will destroy mankind!

Very topical, - except the plot is foiled, and the virus isn’t released!

And of course there’s ‘Death in Venice’... but that has plague!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 July 20 11:37 BST (UK) »

Also, - meant to add,

‘The Machine Stops’, book by E.M.Forster, - very relevant at the moment...

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 July 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
At the start of all “THIS” an old gentleman living at the far end of my road and whose house I pass, was in his front garden.
We exchanged views,and he stated that it was “ germ warfare” the Chinese had the antidote but would not release it to other countries,I said but so many have died in Wuhan,” Ah yes, but Mao Tse Tung marched millions of his people across China and five million died along the way, so many people were as nothing to the Chinese government.No difference now, it is all about  World  Domination, you mark my words!”.
Do you know, I am starting to wonder!
Just as with Influenza ,this will probably mutate and a new vaccine will be needed every year ,a couple of years ago it was not as good as it needed to be and I for one was ill for nine weeks ,then info was released that it had not  been a good vaccine that year,well Covid 19 is not ‘Flu ,soo—-?
The last great emergency was after a period of intense deprivation and a cataclysmic war ,then a hedonistic period which seems to get worse .
What things will be like if we ever get over this  we can’t tell,but I hope people are not so self centred and get devastated if they break a nail.!
We are a generous country and have a core of wonderful people, unselfish and caring ,but also,a lot of the other kind,let’s hope philanthropy wins over
selfishness.
There is a good chance it will, let’s face it, it will have to.
Viktoria.