Author Topic: Sanquhar missing marriage about 1785 and info on mining records  (Read 653 times)

Offline SonjaSarantis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sanquhar missing marriage about 1785 and info on mining records
« on: Thursday 23 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new and this is my first post - so hope I'm in the right place.

I am trying to track a marriage between a Robert Sandilands and a Marrion Weir around 1785.  They had 5 children baptised in Sanquhar parish (Isabel 1785, Janet 1786, William 1788, Hugh 1789, Mary 1791, "unknown" 1795 and another child, Robert baptised in nearby Stonehouse in 1800.  I have located a mort cloth record for Mrs Sandilands in Stonehouse in 1803.

Marrion could be from Tynron, born 1765 daughter of Hugh Weir and Isobel Stewart - I have found 3 possible siblings for her born in Sanquhar, Kirkconnel and Knowhead.

Reason I'm searching is that I have no information on Robert Sandilands other than a reference on electricscotland and a census that says he may have been a coal pit owner/proprietor of the pit on the Muir in Sanquhar in 1790, residing in Knowhead at that time.

I have looked on ancestry, FindMyPast, NRS, myheritage, tried local family history societies in Dumfries and Stonehouse and Lanark, google etc., local mining museums etc... just cant find

1. a marriage of a Robert Sandilands and Marion Weir around 1785 in Sanquhar or surrounding areas; or
2. any record of a Robert Sandilands tying him to this spouse, born in surrounding areas within a genealogical reasonable time frame;
3. any records regarding the possible mining pit on the Muir that was owned by a Robert Sandilands around 1790 in Sanquhar.

I'd be most grateful for any tips/advice.  Thanks
Sonja

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Sanquhar missing marriage about 1785 and info on mining records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new and this is my first post - so hope I'm in the right place.
Hello Sonja, and welcome to RootsChat.

I have looked on ancestry, FindMyPast, NRS, myheritage, tried local family history societies in Dumfries and Stonehouse and Lanark, google etc., local mining museums etc... just cant find
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Basically, if there is no record of the marriage at Scotland's People, the likelihood is that the record, if it ever existed, has not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline doolittle72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 20 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonja

There is a baptism of a Robert Sandilands in Lesmahagow 11.10.1772 father William mother Lilias Brown.  The date of his baptism would suggest he wasn't quite 14 (old enough for marriage). This is the closest I can see and there are quite a few Sandilands in Lesmahagow which is closer to Sanquhar than Stonehouse where Marion died.  I agree about the Tynron baptism for Marion as the parents names are reflected in the choice of names for the children.
Regarding the mine - there were quite a few lead mines in Leadhills and surrounding areas at that time, more so than pits which tended to be coal mines.  I have had a few Weirs in the Sanquhar, Leadhills, Lesmahagow areas at that time and they were lead miners or ag labs.
There used to be a good website for mining but it appears to have been taken down now.

Doolittle72

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
If he actually owned the mine/pit, rather than just leasing it from the landowner, there should be a record in the Registers of Sasines.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=26232.0

Looking up anything in the Registers of Sasines involves going, or getting someone to go on your behalf, to the National Records of Scotland. There is a rather imperfect system for looking up post-1780 Abridgments of Sasines, and this should lead you the originals.

At the moment, of course, the NRS is closed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello from me too  :)

The unnamed child born 1795...could be a Joseph Sandilands. See www.wikitree.com/wiki/Sandilands-153 Some original documents included including that 1795 OPR birth entry.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SonjaSarantis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 20 09:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks all.  Yes I believe the unknown child born 1795 is my GGGP Joesph Sandilands.  I have placed a local genealogist on hold for when the archives re-open to look into Sasines. I also have the names of some landowners who could have rented out the cottage at Knowehead - looks like the postmaster lived there later in 1800s. https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/dumfriesshire-os-name-books-1848-1858/dumfriesshire-volume-44/141

I had William and Lilas as the parents initially but don’t think that is correct given the age.

Appreciate everyone’s help.