Author Topic: William Verner Gilpin Armagh Loughgall  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: William Verner Gilpin Armagh Loughgall
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 July 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
Death of Thomas Gilpin of Copney in 1902.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05689/4603348.pdf

His daughter Mary was the informant.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.   I struggle bc my Isabella's death certificate lists her father as Wm. V. ...but I cannot tie her to him.  Per her obit, I know she had a brother David and James alive in 1915 also...that all fits with Wm. V except Isabella!!  I'm going to check out these other families also so thank you for the leads.

Laura

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:12 BST (UK) »
Have you done your DNA?  You should be a close match to hubby's cousin who is noted as noelwilson22.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:16 BST (UK) »
That online tree must be missing older children since the couple were married in 1856 and the first child shown is born 1865.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:30 BST (UK) »
eileenwilson, I agree.  The online tree also didn't have David Gilpin, Wm. and Eliza's son.  So I'm holding out hope that perhaps Isabella is Wm. V's daughter born abt 1858 which would make more sense with the marriage date.  Need to do more research to prove that out...but as I've mentioned, my Isabella's death certificate names Wm. V as her father plus information in her obit and other documentation I have puts her in that family.

I have not done the DNA.

Thanks to all of you for your help with all of this!
Laura

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 06 November 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
With Covid etc...I finally just heard back from the City of New York Department of Records & Information Services for my request for the marriage certificate referenced in Ancestry (per eileenwilson's note above - Isabella Gilpin to Thomas Wilson 10/8/1891 Astoria, NY Number 17410).  They came back and said that they could not find a record.  Well it must exist if Ancestry has it indexed, right?...I need help with NY.  They searched Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Richmond.  Did I go to the wrong place?  I assumed Astoria was Queens.  Should I go to the NY State Dept of Health Vital Records?  Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Laura

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 06 November 20 17:39 GMT (UK) »
The database reference at Ancestry indicates that the record comes from the the NY Department of Health:

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 06 November 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!  I'm going to try again!

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
Quick Update...NY Health Department (as cited in the Ancestry marriage index for NY) is "unable" to process records that occurred in NYC and sent me back to the NYC city clerk who sent me to the NY Health Department previously!  So a circular dead end on this marriage record until things open again and I can perhaps make a visit to look myself.  Although Isabella and Thomas' index indicates the location as Astoria in Queens in 1891...in researching it seems the records on file for Queens do not go that far back (although there is an index entry?).

I'm still leaning toward my Isabella Gilpin being a child of William Verner (mostly due to the death cert listing father as Wm V. Gilpin).  I found a notation (not proven out yet) that the Isabella who is the daughter of William's brother Richard died in 1864, so if true, no chance she is my Isabella bringing me back to mine being Wm V's daughter.

Just wanted to update you all since you gave me so much help which I truly appreciate.  I'll keep at it.  Thank you so much again.

Laura