Author Topic: Missing John Naldrett  (Read 819 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing John Naldrett
« on: Saturday 25 July 20 00:29 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone here might be able to help me with a puzzle I've come up against whilst looking into the will Judith Naldrett of Rudgwick who died in 1632.

Judith [also spelt Judeth] was the widow of John Naldrett who died there in 1616 and also left a will.

Both John and Judith mention all of the following children in their wills:

John Naldrett
Richard Naldrett
George Naldrett
Susan Naldrett
Ralph Naldrett
Edward Naldrett

In her 1632 will Judith mentions her grandson John Naldrett whom she describes as "the son of Groege Naldrett my son"

Here' the puzzle. George was born in 1606 and died in 1646 in which he also left a will. Just as in Judith's will, George also mentions his son John in his will. The problem I've encountered whilst comparing all of these wills is that the only christening I've found for a John Naldrett son of George is in 1642. Yet if John is mentioned in Judith's 1632 Will, then he must have been born before 1632. Can I find any sign of another John Naldrett? Nope.

Obviously this John may have died and George may have had another son with the same name born in 1642.

All the other names and bits in the wills add up with each other and this seems to be the only odd bit.

John isn't a direct ancestor but it would be handy to know when the John named in Judith's will was born and if George had one or two sons named John.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for any ideas
Matt

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing John Naldrett
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 20 00:54 BST (UK) »
Matt

The info I have is John was born 1631. Not on the Rudgwick CD that I can find though.

His sister Joan born 1625/26 was my ancestor.

Ian C

Edit
Got NALDRETT info from the Sussex Genealogies - Horsham
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 20 01:04 BST (UK) »
Matt

The info I have is John was born 1631. Not on the Rudgwick CD that I can find though.

His sister Joan born 1625/26 was my ancestor.

Ian C

Edit
Got NALDRETT info from the Sussex Genealogies - Horsham

Hi Ian

Thanks for the quick reply. 1631 would certainly make more sense than 1642. Do you have an exact date for the 1631 christening?

Almost all the christenings I have for the Naldretts come from both transcripts and the original registers cross-referenced with wills [lots of wills] and so far this John is the only mystery I've come across.

John is not my ancestor [his brother George may be] but it would be interesting to know when all the people named in the will were born.

I'll take a look at that Sussex Genealogies you mentioned as I do have a lot of Naldrett records.

Many thanks again

Matt

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 20 03:00 BST (UK) »
Believe George's first wife Elizabeth died Dec 1631, possibly in childbirth and in the confusion John born 1631 was possibly not baptised.

George's second wife was Anne as some of the children after 1632 have that as mothers name. Not married in Rudgwick though. Can't find my SMI disk to see where.

There was a John son of George baptised in 1642, which could be a second John. There was a burial for a John in 1640, which could have been the first John. Unfortunately no ages to tie down which John is which.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 07:47 BST (UK) »
Morning  :)

From SMI

West Chiltington,West Sussex

19 April ,1632

George Naldrett
Ann Cheriman ,Widow

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
Morning  :)

From SMI

West Chiltington,West Sussex

19 April ,1632

George Naldrett
Ann Cheriman ,Widow

omega

Hi omega

Thanks. That info would certainly seem to tie in with what Ian has so far and with what I have.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
Believe George's first wife Elizabeth died Dec 1631, possibly in childbirth and in the confusion John born 1631 was possibly not baptised.

George's second wife was Anne as some of the children after 1632 have that as mothers name. Not married in Rudgwick though. Can't find my SMI disk to see where.

There was a John son of George baptised in 1642, which could be a second John. There was a burial for a John in 1640, which could have been the first John. Unfortunately no ages to tie down which John is which.

Ian C

Hi Ian

I wonder if Ann also died? I have a copy of George Naldrett's 1646 will but can't see any mention of a wife [of any name]. I also have a copy of a will for a George Naldrett who died in 1689 who mentions his "loving wife Anne" but I believe this is a different George.

The children I have for George who died in 1646 are as follows, listed in order of birth:

Joan 1626
George 1629
Mary 1633
Richard - christened and buried October 1634
Martha 1635
Susanna 1637
Ann 1640
Rafe 1645

Then there is also John who according to the will of George's mother Judith, must have been born before 1632 [when she died].

If Elizabeth died in 1632 then perhaps she was the mother of Joan, George and John [maybe she died giving birth to him!].

After the christening of George in 1629 the next christening I have [excluding John] is for Mary in 1633. So If as omega suggests George was married to Ann [his second wife] in West Chiltington in 1632 that would fill the gaps and mean that the children from Mary onwards were born to Ann.

Hoping that makes sense.

My connection to the Naldretts though comes though Sarah Naldrett who married Thomas Knight at Itchingfield in about 1660. The problem is that there are two Sarahs born in the same year and so far I have been unable to eliminate either!

There is a Sarah Naldrett christened on 17 March 1640 daughter of George [I suspect that this is the George who died in 1646]

Then there is a Sarah Naldrett christened on 27 September 1640 daughter of Nicholas Naldrett.

Nicholas himself was christened in 1592 and died in 1638.

So far I can't find a burial for either Sarah, although I've seen that George doesn't mention a daughter named Sarah in his will.

Have you come across a burial for either Sarah during your Naldrett research?

I'll be posting a new post about Sarah later as well so more info will be on that.

Best Wishes
Matt