Author Topic: Tithe Map/Apportionments 1848 vs Electoral Register for Saxton Cum Scarthingwell  (Read 847 times)

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've spent some time comparing the Tithe Map of 1848 with a OS 6-inch Map from 1845 and I'm pretty convinced the farm in question is NOT on the Tithe Map. It's location is just north of the piece of land I thought it was. So for some reason it wasn't deemed necessary to include it. Is there a reason for this? Could it be something to do with Enclosures which I've read a little about?

Maybe William Marshall sublet the land to John Birkinshaw? I think 'Occupier' had a slightly different meaning then, as it did in Ireland - for instance, the manager of a Workhouse who registered births & deaths was named as the 'Occupier'.

Who was living there in the 1851 census?
1841 HO107/1283/4/6 Saxton Grange

Benjamin   Birkinshaw   Male   70   
Phillis Birkinshaw           Female  65
Benjamin   Birkinshaw   Male   30   
John   Birkinshaw   Male   25   1816   
Jane   Birkinshaw   Female   9   
Helen   Goodall   Female   55   
James   Monkman   Male   18   
Samuel   Pears   Male   15   
All born Yorkshire

Offline mikebrunger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Map/Apportionments 1848 vs Electoral Register for Saxton Cum Scarthingwell
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 August 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
It's taken a bit of time to get some more information on this. As mentioned before the Tithe Map does not include this farm so I'm assuming it was either exempt from Tithes or already paying them? I have now obtained the Enclosure Maps and Awards from 1849 and while the farm has a reference number on the map the awards associated with the map do not include it. I have pored over the 19 pages of Awards and it is not mentioned once. So again I am assuming the farm was already enclosed or did not comprise any Common,Open or Waste land?? I'm now waiting for any Deeds records from the Wakefield Office of WYAS to hopefully provide history on the farmhouse. Also planning to visit TNA when I can to obtain the 1910 Land Survey Records for more information.

If anyone has any thoughts on all this or suggestions as to how I can go back further than 19thC I would be happy to hear it. My information so far shows the farm to exist from at least 1804 and farmhouse from 1845 via OS maps. Thanks

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Map/Apportionments 1848 vs Electoral Register for Saxton Cum Scarthingwell
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 October 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
It's taken a bit of time to get some more information on this. As mentioned before the Tithe Map does not include this farm so I'm assuming it was either exempt from Tithes or already paying them? I have now obtained the Enclosure Maps and Awards from 1849 and while the farm has a reference number on the map the awards associated with the map do not include it. I have pored over the 19 pages of Awards and it is not mentioned once. So again I am assuming the farm was already enclosed or did not comprise any Common,Open or Waste land?? I'm now waiting for any Deeds records from the Wakefield Office of WYAS to hopefully provide history on the farmhouse. Also planning to visit TNA when I can to obtain the 1910 Land Survey Records for more information.

If anyone has any thoughts on all this or suggestions as to how I can go back further than 19thC I would be happy to hear it. My information so far shows the farm to exist from at least 1804 and farmhouse from 1845 via OS maps. Thanks

Oldest Fields and Property
The Tithe Maps were usually drawn up by Parish (usually including Townships/Villages within that Parish) after the Tithe Commutation Act of 1936 commuting the old Tithes to Rent Charges.

A Tithe Map usually only shows the older fields, buildings (numbered) and accompanied by a numbered Schedule Apportionment (as Surveyed 1830s - 1840s), before the Parliamentary Enclosures began by Parliamentary Bills, Acts and Awards.

Newer Fields
Starting in the 18th Century Lords of the Manor and Landowners began to lodge Bills to Parliament for some of the unenclosed Commons to be Enclosed by Parliamentary Act (if successful a Parliamentary Enclosure Map and Award were made and drawn to show what was covered by the Act).

These Enclosures by Parliamentary Bill, Act and Award were usually exonerated (exempt) of Tithe and are therefore blank on a Tithe Map (despite a lot already being inclosed into fields by Parliamentary Act).

Fields Circa 1804
No 1804 building on a Tithe Map, I would inquire at County Archives level and look at one or all of the surviving Parliamentary Enclosure Awards and Maps.

Also what 6" to 1 mile and larger scale OS Maps they have too.

Mark