Author Topic: Mrs K Hall of Bancroft Ont.  (Read 1335 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs K Hall of Bancroft Ont.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
Marriages in Ontario are available up to 1938 and they don't show up there.  If she was in England during WWII, would she not perhaps have married there?

Offline facellia

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra.   Will have a  look fingers crossed   Just hoping she was from UK of course

Chris
Kenward East Sussex/Lewes
Foord Eastbourne/Seaford/Hankham Westham Sussex
Hurdle West Sussex/Surrey
Green West Sussex
Quait West Sussex
Potter Eastbourne

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 July 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Chris:

Most of the answers to your questions are here:

http://muddle-1.one-name.net/buxted/190cs.htm

I am familiar with land records in Ontario and found Robert A. Hall purchasing a lot in Faraday Township, Hastings County in 1958. In April 1974 he and his wife sold the land which is actually a cottage/residential lot at the northeast end of Paudash Lake. But in April 1979, Kathleen Matilda Hall made a declaration as Executrix of the Last Will and Testament of Robert ABERDEEN Hall.

The name Robert Aberdeen Hall appears in Library and Archives Canada as a British Home Child. He was sent to Canada in September 1923 and his birthdate was given as 05.12.1911. Sent to live with Col. Stanley D. Johnston, a farmer, in Peterborough, Ontario. R7, Lot 23, Concession 8. These children were part of the Dr. Barnardo Homes.

If you believe that the family were Protestant, then on the very next lot adjoining their's at Paudash Lake is St. Mark's United Church and Cemetery. Perhaps they are buried there and I will see if I can find a listing of burials for you.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Great find!  Can I ask how you found the land records so quickly?

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 July 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
Not easy. The Ontario Land Registry system is online (Onland) where you can see all of the Land Abstract pages in the "Historical" land books. I narrowed down the address to one or two concessions and browsed page by page until I found Robert A. Hall. Again- it takes time. The FHL has the same books online at FamilySearch but you have to search the catalogue under the relevant place and then land records. But they do have the same page images.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 July 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Good to know for future reference.  Thanks.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
Lovely story but it does say Robert had one son - no mention of the two girls P & R born in the 1940/50's ?  Kath did live in Eastbourne Sussex but the original post says she was in Witney Oxford during WW2.
By the time Kathleen Matilda Thorpe married Robert Aberdeen Hall she was 46  years old ?
Not sure this one is sorted yet?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of Robert Aberdeen Hall born 1912 Newcastle married 3 April 1937 Peterborough Ontario. Bachelor.  Spouse Helen Margaret Hamlin.
Helen Margaret Hamlin was born 1916 Peterborough Ontario (referred to Margaret Hamlin on the 1921 census)
There is an ancestry tree for the couple but no further info other than the marriage.

There is a Canada Ocean Arrivals Form (30A) for Robert Aberdeen Hall of North Shields departed Southampton 21 September 1923 on the Minnedosa. Robert aged 11 years.

UK outbound passenger list shows Dr Barnardo Homes  18 - 20 Stepney Causeway London
Going to Quebec to do farming.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
It is one and the same family. Muddle is the connection. I will wait until facellia jumps back in here.