Author Topic: GROUNDWATER family from Kirkwall ORKNEY Scotland  (Read 4276 times)

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GROUNDWATER family from Kirkwall ORKNEY Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 June 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
Isabel Petrie married Magnus GROUNDWATER at the end of the 1700's
their children were Robert born 1797 and William 1804

Could anyone please find this record
Turramurra

I have been wondering for some time whether this Robert is the same man who married Margaret Eunson in Leith on 10 July 1818, and who was a shoemaker in Tollbooth Wynd in Leith.

While I'm at it, Margaret's father was George Eunson - she was born in Leith, but I wonder if George was an Orcadian?  I'm purely guessing from the surname, and the Groundwater link.

Can anyone shed any light?
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 June 21 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this reply brooksburns

In this coming week a  Groundwater researcher  and I are having morning tea and look at all aspects of family history.
I will have some ideas about your request after our meeting.
Thank you for the suggestion and also the P.M.

Until then,
happy sleuthing!
Turramurra.
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline brooksburns

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 June 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
In this coming week a  Groundwater researcher  and I are having morning tea and look at all aspects of family history.
I will have some ideas about your request after our meeting.

Excellent!  Good luck!  I can't wait to hear back from you.
Co Durham BROOKS / Northumberland BURNS / Fogo ALCORN, DODDS / Whitby LINTON, STONEHOUSE, GRAHAM / Stirlingshire BROWN, MCLACHLAN, JOHNSTONE / Blackford (Perthshire) DAVIDSON, MURRAY / St Andrews KIRK, HAY / Leith, Orkney GROUNDWATER, EUNSON / Edinburgh HUTTON, WRIGHT, BLAIR, CHISHOLM, GREGOR

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 June 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
  Black in his Surnames gives the origin as the place-name Grundwatter in Orphir, Alexander in Gyre,Orphir died in 1686, Edward in Tankerness was captured by the pressgang in 1812.
 An Orkney Groundwater was concerned in the horrible murder of Janet Cornfoot a supposed witch in Pittenweem, Fife, 1705.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 June 21 06:47 BST (UK) »
After a morning of careful research for the marriage of Robert GROUNDWATER and
Margaret Eunson
nothing yet has come to light.
Sorry Brooksburns.

However we have not found the death of Robert Groundwater either.
I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help please ?

Freezing here in Sydney 9 degrees coldest day for 25 years!

Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 June 21 08:24 BST (UK) »

While I'm at it, Margaret's father was George Eunson - she was born in Leith, but I wonder if George was an Orcadian?  I'm purely guessing from the surname, and the Groundwater link.

Can anyone shed any light?

this one is the right age

https://gw.geneanet.org/pcopland?n=eunson&oc=1&p=george