Author Topic: George BERTRAM born 1912 Paddington, London.  (Read 2121 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George BERTRAM born 1912 Paddington, London.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
It warrants further investigation before you eliminate him.

If the George in Northumberland is not your man, where is his birth registration for 13th November 1912? I can't see one (unless of course he was born in Scotland or possibly abroad). He might, for his own reasons, have given a false christian name for his father.

I haven't got any obvious links with Nbland for George or any of his family either.   

That's not a reason to say it's not the right person. My husband was brought up in London, and has no links whatsoever (that I know of) with Northumberland, but ended up living there!

If there is no other evidence of your George's actual birth date I'd get his birth certificate.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
True!

I'm wondering if George Bertram would have been seen as British or German during WW2?  Germany would consider him a German national but would anyone in Britain know?  Would he have been interned?  Next job to look up those lists, if these exist.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline rodgepodge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
On the Gro.gov.uk George Bertram b1912 GRO Reference: 1912  D Quarter in PADDINGTON  Volume 01A  Page 35
Mothers Maiden name is Crook ;D

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodgepodge and thanks.  Yes the GRO reference was my starting point (see my original post).  I have yet to follow up on the 1939 register/probate info from JenB as have been busy with other parts of family history. 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD shows a son registered in Northumberland Central, Q1 1937, [EDIT - removed details as might still be living].  No others shown, and this period is not covered in the GRO index either to double check.

I've sent off for the will to see what it reveals.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 19:04 BST (UK) »
I've followed the trail for this George Bertram, who died in the 70s, as did his wife.  Their son married [EDIT removed names as not found death records].  I have found two children from this marriage - probably still living so I won't name them here.  I think the only way I'll find out if he's the right man is to try and find the living descendants via the internet to ask them if they know their ancestry.

The death cert for George Bertram might give the correct place of birth to help, but it does depend on who gives the info at the time, and whoever it was (his wife died before him) may not have known his birthplace or guessed.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 October 22 14:02 BST (UK) »
I found George Bartram in the 1921 census at a prep school in Margate, Kent.  So not the Northumberland George Bartram.  More details about the school on this thread. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=857812.msg7264519#msg7264519

His mother was on her own in the 1921 census.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 October 22 14:54 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any record of George Bertram born 1912 Paddington after the 1921 census showing him a schoolboy in Margate.  Unfortunately this school was bombed in WW2 so I'm assuming there is no archive that might have shown his progression.

Can't find him in the 1939 register, marriage or death records.  He may have died abroad during WW2, or may have emigrated at some point, perhaps to the continent rather than further afield as I can't find him in any passenger records. 

Having a German father may have meant he couldn't serve in the military during WW2.  Perhaps he was interned?

Anyone have any ideas where I could look for him?

Thanks.
Crook, Bannister, Warren