Author Topic: Windows 10 Update Problem  (Read 3285 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Update Problem
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 August 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
    I am not going to install the 2004 version.     I have put a "pause" on Windows updates meanwhile

The pause only lasts till the 18th, but I will keep pressing the pause button until Microsoft come up with a better version.

What is it about the 2004 release which you don't like?

Most people will not notice the difference, because the changes are all under the skin. The big changes to the interface arrived with 1909, but were only visible to new user accounts on a machine.

2004 runs fine on all dozen or so machines I've tried, the oldest being from 2005.

Unless your machine is new, you will already have been through a bunch of these updates. There have been two per year since Win10 first arrived in 2015.

If you let the update proceed, you have about a week to roll back to the 1909 version.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
No problems downloading/installing the Windows 10 updates other than the long time it takes to regain control of my computer once I hit the download button!
200Mbps download max on my system, but usually crawls along.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
I don't care for the look of it  ::)  I'm still trying to work out how to get a full screen view for the messages.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Treetotal, from Windows help:

Change the size of text in Windows 10
Here's how to change the size of text, images, and apps in Windows 10.
To change your display in Windows 10, select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings (Gear-shaped Settings icon) > Ease of Access > Display. To make only the text on your screen larger, adjust the slider under Make text bigger. To make everything larger, including images and apps, choose an option from the drop-down menu under Make everything bigger.

Is this what you're looking for?

Michael.

Edit
Added brackets as settings icon appeared as words instead of the actual icon

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Michael, really helpful  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
 Andre,
            About a week ago, I was having problems with the laptop, and at that time Microsoft happened to be offering me the 2004 Update, and I thought that might just be the answer.   First of all though, before installing 2004, you are supposed to click on the Framework Setup.    I did click on the Framework but then I noticed a site where people were complaining about the 2004 Windows Update. 

I did a System Restore to get rid of the Framework.   But I still have the original problem with the computer.... slowness, blurred pictures etc     I get messages: Try using "Basic Viewer" ever time I bring a blurred image up on screen.     Just this afternoon, I have installed Wise Disk Cleaner and am using that to try to get the laptop back to normal.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 19:25 BST (UK) »
The .NET framework has nothing to do with the base operating system, but is used by many lumps of software to obtain services from it.

The "Preview" is not a release version; it will be replaced by the proper one in today's batch of fixes & updates - the second Tuesday of each month is known as "Patch Tuesday" (Microsoft is not the only company which uses this schedule).

I don't know why the .NET team push out Preview versions, but most in the IT industry avoid installing them.

Slowness is usually caused by software which you don't need hogging resources which you do. Going through the list under "Settings", "Apps" and uninstalling things you don't want is a good thing to do. Then check which programs are being run at startup and disable the ones you think shouldn't always be running. You can reach the list in Task Manager; it is one of the tabs which appears once you select "More Details".

Blurred pictures though? Do you mean image files stored on your PC, or those being brought down by your browser to view on screen?

If the former, then you may be using the wrong image viewer program - Windows comes with more than one.

If it is things such as Ancestry images, there are many possible reasons, but the top three are:
1. Ancestry being overloaded; they need to buy more bandwidth from Amazon (it's all in Amazon's cloud service).
2. The speed of your link to the internet. If you can download other things quickly, it's not this.
3. Using the wrong browser. The old version of Microsoft Edge was poor at this, and failed to display quite a few images from FindMyPast. The new version, based on Chromium (as is Google's Chrome browser) is much better. Try pressing F5, or clicking arrow-going-in-a-circle icon to refresh the page. With the bits from the first attempt already in the cache, it may be more successful for the second attempt.

After that we get into speculation.

Personally I doubt that your Disk Cleaner will make much difference. Their writers make claims about things such as a cluttered Registry. Removing registry entries is a bit like removing something from the far corner of your attic and expecting that to speed up your trip from the front door to the kitchen. They won't even reduce the size of the Registry files once entries are marked as Deleted, because those files are continuously in use by Windows, and protected from modification except by the official system calls.

The included "Disk Clean-up" (under Windows Administrative Tools) does a decent job of tidying up the main disk space hogs, especially if you use the "Clean up system files" button. It doesn't empty the browser cache for all browsers though, so you may wish to do that from within your browser's menu.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
        Thanks for those tips.      I will try them.      ...The laptop is doing much better, almost back to normal.     

...I use Firefox browser, but Microsoft seem almost desperate for me to switch to Edge, going by the amount of prompts they give me about it.     Chrome would be my second choice browser.

Windows 10 is okay for me but the old Windows 7 used to allow you to do defraging, etc, if I remember right, and I don't see why it was excluded from subsequent versions of Windows.   I have a feeling I had corrupted files and Wise Cleaner may have sorted that out.   

The images I mentioned are Ancestry b.m.d. certificates, stored in Cloud.    So far today the blurred images have not been bothering me now.   

On the subject of corrupt files, would one cause of this be interrupting the computer before it completes a task?     "Corrupt" files - what does it mean?      I have seen it mentioned as the reason for a slow computer.      Is the user of the computer doing something wrong?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
I have no Anti-Virus app, not needed.

I haven't either.  The computer bod who kindly transferred everything from my old to new laptop said it wasn't necessary as Microsoft antivirus etc. is as good as any you can buy and probably better.  Also the antivirus package I had on my old lap was slowing everything down.

ps.  I have transferred everything from old to new laptops before but it was a painful procedure and I had to download all my programs again, the computer bod knew exactly what to do to make sure everything transferred over correctly.