Author Topic: Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney  (Read 1657 times)

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney
« on: Wednesday 29 July 20 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am currently researching my pedigree surname Cairney.  This name has changed over a period of time and has been variously spelt Cairney/Cairnie/Carney and there has even been a spelling Cerney (1901 Scottish/1911 Irish census').

My 2 x great grandfather Henry Cairney was born (illigetimately) to Mary Carnie in Kilwinning, Ayrshire on 23rd October 1868.

He met my 2 x great grandmother Mary Somerville and according to the birth certificates of some of their children Mary and Henry married in Belfast on the 30th December 1890 - I have yet to find proof of this marriage.  Mary was born in Anahilt, County Down on 15 June 1872.  And after their marriage they were living in Old Monkland.

As far as I know they only had 4 children - Henry, Mary, Margaret and James.

I have the births of 2 of these children. 

James was born in Coatbridge on the 28th August 1900 and Margaret was born in Holytown on the 8th October 1898.

I know from the 1901 Scottish Census that Henry (juniors) birth would be circa 1893 and Mary (juniors) birth is circa 1896. 

However, I have searched high and low for Henry's birth, Mary's birth and Henry (seniors) and Mary (seniors) marriage registration (which was apparently in Belfast) and have been unsuccessful. I have tried Scotland's People, Ancestry, Findmypast, IrishGeneology and so on and so forth. I am pretty much at my wits end and wondered if anyone could help please?

In addition to this, Henry (senior) died in an Ironworks accident 4th September 1902 in Langloan. At some point Mary and her 4 children then moved to Belfast and I do know that although the children's surname remained as Carney, at some point Mary Cairney (nee Somerville) must have remarried as she became know as Mary Cotter.  And according to the 1911 Irish census she and her husband Robert Cotter had been married 7 years.

I have traced the Cotter's but again I cannot find a Cotter/Cairney or even a Cotter/Sommerville marriage registration.

I am finding this all very fustrating and I am hoping maybe a fresh set of eyes might help!!

May thanks

Gary

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure if you have this?

Henry Kearney 21 Kilwinning, Ayr. General Labourer
Spouse's name :   Mary Kearney 19 Ballyhensh, Co Down
1891 = 20 Quarry Row, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
CEARNEY   MARY   1896   Holytown

Also listed as below on SP.
KEARNEY   MARY   1896   Holytown

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
CEARNEY   HENDRY   1893   Coatbridge or Old Monkland

Colin

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
I’m not sure if you have this?

Henry Kearney 21 Kilwinning, Ayr. General Labourer
Spouse's name :   Mary Kearney 19 Ballyhensh, Co Down
1891 = 20 Quarry Row, Old Monkland, Lanarkshire

Colin

Hi Colin

Thank you!!!!!

I knew I needed some fresh eyes on this although I would never have thought with those spellings.

I have now found, thanks to you, Henry and Marys birth, wow! You have no idea how many years I have been looking for those. I also feel somewhat stupid for not finding them before.

So I plugged those birth details into Scotlands People and hey presto!

Can I just ask what platform did you use for the marriage, is it Scotlands People? I am trying those details in Scotlands People but I am not finding it yet!

Thank you again Colin, I appreciate your help.

Regards

Gary

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry Colin. Just realised that wasnt the marriage you posted but the 1891 Census a year after the marriage date. 

I still didnt have this either so thanks so much for the extra info!!

I just have to find the Cairney/Somerville and Cairney/Cotter marriage now.

Would anyone have any idea how I could go about finding where Henry(senior) might be buried? Like previously posted he died 4th September 1902 and it was due to an Ironworks accident at Langloan.  I would love to be able to find where he might be buried. Whilst I suspect there will probably be no grave marker it would be amazing if there was!!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
I searched SP for both marriages but as you know nothing there.

As they most likely married in Belfast you could try Belfast Council.

https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-ceremonies/burial-records/other-historical-records#337-1

Colin

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 20 10:48 BST (UK) »

https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/births-deaths-and-ceremonies/burial-records/other-historical-records#337-1

Colin

Thanks Colin.

I will give this another go but I have tried. Maybe I have missed a spelling variation.

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 14:17 BST (UK) »

Colin

Thanks Colin.

I will give this another go but I have tried. Maybe I have missed a spelling variation.

No luck for either marriage in SP and the GRO NI. I'm all out for ideas for these two marriages.

I dont understand how the first marriage of Mary Somerville and Henry Cairney can be so specific in terms of date and place yet I cannot find it. And in 1911 Mary was married to Robert Cotter for 7 years yet I cannot find that one either!

Incredibly frustrating!!!!