Author Topic: Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney  (Read 1653 times)

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
I know it seems unlikely, but is it conceivable that Mary had married someone else, and they had separated but not divorced so she just made out that she was married to Henry and then Robert but never actually did the deed because it would have been bigamy?

How do you know, by the way, that Mary was the one born on 15 June 1872? (Her birth certificate says Ballycreen, which is very close to Anahilt.)

Hi Forfarian

I am very open to other avenues in terms of these marriages. Like you say, although unlikely it is possible.....until I see something concrete I guess I have been going with convention.

In terms of having the right Mary Somerville; it seems to be the best fit. In terms of age, location and I know when Mary moved back to Ireland sometime between 1902 when Henry died and 1911 when I see her next on the Irish Census, one of her children stayed with the Somerville family in Ballynahinch (as the family's niece), just up the road from Anahilt in the townland of Ballycreen.

Although not impossible it seems almost inconcieveable that it is anyone else. I am almost certain I have the right Mary.  My grandfather always spoke to my mother about staying with the Somerville family in Ballynahinch as an evacuee during the war.

My grandfather was Mary's grandson.

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 August 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I was hoping and would be grateful if someone was in Old Monkland Cemetery anytime soon, if they could have a look for my great great grandfathers grave and take a snap of the grave (whether it has a grave marker or not) please?

One kind indivdual on this thread has already kindly located the grave on paper (attached).

I would do it except I am in Belfast and wont be able to get to the Cemetery anytime soon.

Many thanks

Gary

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 18 October 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
So I thought I'd post an update; I have now found Mary Somerville/Cairneys second marriage.

According to the 1911 Irish Census she had been married to Robert Cotter for 7 years but I could never find the marriage.

I searched in the newspaper archive and discovered why, initially, I couldn't locate the marriage.

It seems that Mr Cotter was already married when he married Mary Cairney.

He married a Mary Agnes Williamson in the late 1800s. However according to newspaper reports she was still alive when he remarried Mary Sommerville in Nov 1904. According to one report he was violent to his first wife.

Mary Sommerville married using Sommerville, her maiden surname, and he used the alias Robert Leathem!

Subsequently after marrying in Belfast he was back in Scotland and was arrested in Johnstone.  There was a court case (I hope to get access to that in PRONI at some point), and he was found guilty in 1906 of bigamy and was given 4 months in prison!  They must have stayed together as she stayed a Cotter and they both died in Belfast whilst living at the same address.

I havent managed to get Mary Sommervilles first marriage to Henry Cairney which I am disappointed by.

According to their 4 childrens birth registrations they married in Belfast 30th December 1890. I have had the GRO in Belfast do a search on and around that date without success and I have also personally tried irishgeneology.ie again without success.  Maybe they just didn't get married which would explain Marys use of her maiden name in the second marriage.

Offline kazdez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 06:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious to know which John McAloon did she marry?  I am a descendant of the McAloons from Coatbridge and Old Monkland areas, but didn't know about this marriage.

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 12:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm curious to know which John McAloon did she marry?  I am a descendant of the McAloons from Coatbridge and Old Monkland areas, but didn't know about this marriage.

Hi Karen,

Tieing in with your other post:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=859579.msg7284833

SP has a death record for John McAloon in 1903, mother's maiden name MARTIN 652/2 227 so could be a link up for you all here.

Also worth checking out an SP marriage registration in 1870 RD Irvine 595/ 20
John MCALOON and Mary CAIRNIE

Good luck
Duncan

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 December 23 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if any of you fine people could advise me how to find the marriage of my great great grandfather Henry Cairney and great great grandmother Mary Somervile.

Henry was from Kilwinning, Scotland and Mary was from Co. Down more specifically Anahilt.

Mary was 18 when she married Henry and this was her first marriage.  She "married" again in 1904 after Henry died in a terrible ironworks accident in Gartsherrie, Scotland.  Her second marriage was to a bigamist, Robert Cotter in Belfast.

Back to the marriage I am trying to find....Henry apparently married Mary in Belfast, December 1890.

I ha vent managed to get Mary Sommervilles first marriage to Henry Cairney which I am disappointed by.

According their childrens (4 children) birth registrations, Henry and Mary married in Belfast 30th December 1890.

I have had the GRO in Belfast do a search in and around that date without success and I have also personally tried irishgeneology.ie again without success.  Maybe they just didn't get married which would explain Marys use of her maiden name in the second marriage?

Would be very grateful for any assistance!

Ps
Henry was 22 years old at the time of marriage. His father was unknown as he was illegitimate. But his mother was called Mary Carnie.  His grandfather was Peter Cairnie.

Mary was 18 years old at the time of their marriage.  Her father was called John Somerville and her mother was Mary Shaw. 

Mary and Henry were in Scotland in the 1891 Scottish Census. And their son, Henry, my great-grandfather was born in 1893 in Scotland.

Finally, the surname has been variously spelt as: Carney, Cairney, Kerney, Carnie, Cerney and Cairnie.

Thank you all!