Author Topic: Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for birth of Mary and Henry Cairney
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Henry Cairney who died in 1902 was interred in Common Ground at Old Monkland cemetery in Coatbridge on February 6th 1902.

However, he was subsequently reinterred in another grave on 9th February. Here are the details. It may be worth finding out who Joseph Cairney was!
Have you checked Henry's death certificate for parentage and a RCE?

Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Henry Cairney who died in 1902 was interred in Common Ground at Old Monkland cemetery in Coatbridge on February 6th 1902.

However, he was subsequently reinterred in another grave on 9th February. Here are the details. It may be worth finding out who Joseph Cairney was!
Have you checked Henry's death certificate for parentage and a RCE?

Lodger, thank you very much for this!

Pardon my ignorance but was does RCE mean?

I can explain pretty much all those names. Joseph Cairney born 1844 to Peter Cairnie and Lucinda Burns is likely Henry's uncle. A brother of Henry's mother, Mary Cairnie.  Mary had Henry illigimately in 1868 but by 1870 she married into the McAloon family.  John McAloon will most likely be Henry's step father.  I cant quite make out the other first names but if they are McAloons then they are Henry's step family for sure.  How amazing, thank you for this!! Can I just ask where exactly is this cemetery, I am wondering if there is a headstone. I live in Belfast so I cant readily get to the gravestone so IF there is a headstone and anyone is in the area I would be very appreciative of a picture!!

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 16:49 BST (UK) »
RCE = Register of Corrected Entries. If Henry was killed in a works accident a report would have been sent to the Procurator fiscal, he would examine that report and determine whether it should be passed to the police for further investigation. There will be a note in the left-hand margin of Henry's death certificate and a copy of the entry will be available to view on Scotlandspeople (and download) without an extra charge.
Old Monkland cemetery in in Coatbridge, not too far from me really, if it EVER stops raining I will go and have a look.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
RCE = Register of Corrected Entries. If Henry was killed in a works accident a report would have been sent to the Procurator fiscal, he would examine that report and determine whether it should be passed to the police for further investigation. There will be a note in the left-hand margin of Henry's death certificate and a copy of the entry will be available to view on Scotlandspeople (and download) without an extra charge.
Old Monkland cemetery in in Coatbridge, not too far from me really, if it EVER stops raining I will go and have a look.

Fantastic. Thank you so much Lodger, I know what you mean about rain. It's the same here in Belfast.

I looked at the very poor writing in the death certificate and the RCE and could just make out the Fiscal part. So I googled that and found that there is indeed an entry for Henry.....

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=SC35%2f4%2f2&st=1&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=Henry+Cairney&ko=a&r=&ro=s&df=1902&dt=1904&di=y

However, it seems I will have to get a genealogist to look for me as you cant do it online. So I guess I will have to be a little more patient however thank you again as I would never have known about this had it not been for your help!!!

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 19:21 BST (UK) »
Why can't you do it online? It will be attached to his death certificate, there will be a link at the top of the page.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
Why can't you do it online? It will be attached to his death certificate, there will be a link at the top of the page.

Hi Lodger
I can see the RCE although the writing is hard to read.

I am talking about the Fatal Accident Inquiry that the Procurator Fiscal had written held in the National Records of Scotland which the RCE points too

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
It will probably just tell you that he died as the result of an accident at work, or perhaps a heart attack or something like that.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Devlin - Co Tyrone.

Offline GaryTJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
It will probably just tell you that he died as the result of an accident at work, or perhaps a heart attack or something like that.

Ah, OK, so probably nothing much more of value then.  Thanks for helping me, I appreciate your expertise.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 20:26 BST (UK) »
I know it seems unlikely, but is it conceivable that Mary had married someone else, and they had separated but not divorced so she just made out that she was married to Henry and then Robert but never actually did the deed because it would have been bigamy?

How do you know, by the way, that Mary was the one born on 15 June 1872? (Her birth certificate says Ballycreen, which is very close to Anahilt.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.