Author Topic: Photo I D  (Read 276 times)

Offline rocklawn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo I D
« on: Friday 31 July 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Grasping at straws here.
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of any old records that may have been kept after Stuarts closed their doors in Brompton Road, London or by Shermans, Gt Yarmouth pre 1900.
I have a Sherman photograph with an order number on the reverse and I am trying to trace the name of the person. I also have two photos from Stuart, 47 & 49 Brompton Road. Again, I am trying to identify them.
I am informed that the three photos are brothers, their names are below, of my grandfather Charles Robert Lawn - born Fritton 1879.
Stuart Bros were at 47 Brompton Rd from 1865 -1892 and their photo card is printed SHERMANS BROS, 47 BROMPTON ROAD.
The name above the door was changed to W & J Stuart in 1893 to 1911. That photo card is printed W & J Stuart, 47 BROMPTON ROAD.
They in turn were succeeded by Charles and Archibald Stuart who traded from the address from 1912 until 1925. Their photo card is printed Stuart 47 & 49 BROMPTON RD.
This is the same logo as the photo card showing two of the brothers. Both photos in Charles Roberts possession. So, logically, taken 1912-1925.
There lies a problem with the Stuart photos that in 1912 James Charles was aged 49 (Born 1863), Herbert George 45 (Born 1867), Thomas William 42 (Born 1870).
The photos are of much younger men, late teens - early 20's.
James and Herbert were in London 1881 & 1891 respectively. There are no records for them after those dates.
The other photo card is printed Sherman Gt Yarmouth (Not Pier Studio) with the order no 3984 on the reverse.
The business is referred to as ‘George Sherman & Sons’ from 1900 onwards.
I think this is another brick wall but would appreciate any suggestions in how to identify the brothers by name.
Regards,
DCL