Author Topic: James McLaren born abt 1808 Belfast  (Read 1334 times)

Offline kennymclawrence

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McLaren born abt 1808 Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 June 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
Are you related to James btw

Offline kennymclawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 June 23 16:49 BST (UK) »
South

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 June 23 07:58 BST (UK) »
I remember looking the other day for the death you found in Dublin Workhouse but couldn't find it online to see what details are listed. Have you found it? if so, please post the link.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kennymclawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 June 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
That link only works with a subscription to Find My Past which I and many others do not have. I was searching for the death on Irish Genealogy and unable to find it which is why I asked for a link to the actual death record.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 June 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
the link is to a page of the Admission and Discharge registers for North Dublin Union, it includes a 60 year old James McLaren, married Protestant of 'no fixed residence', admitted on 15th August 1884 and reported as 'Died' 6th March '92

His death is indexed as JAMES MLAREN  on Irishgenealogy, death in NDU Workhouse, residence also Wokhouse, informant is a Patk.Callaghan, 'inmate'.

p.s. the workhouse registers show several likely additional admissions for the same person, a mix of Dublin north and South.

Offline kennymclawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 June 23 21:04 BST (UK) »
I think the Glasnevin entries are taken directly from the Workhouse information when he was admitted in 1884.
The case for the 1884 North Dublin Workhouse entry, 1892 death and subsequent burial in Glasnevin being the Waterford James McLawrence, originally from Belfast, born appx 1808.
The 1884 Workhouse admittance entry is minimal and any detail is questionable, his age (born 1824) and marital status in particular. His Protestant religion and having no fixed residence are in our favour.
An earlier entry in 1879 also described our James, the shoe maker from Waterford as married even though his wife had died in 1876.
The page that contains the entry, the page before and the page after had an occupation assigned to every adult male. James is the single exception. For the 1884 entry 'none' is recorded. One of his other confirmed workhouse entries had 'none' also recorded. Anyhow the minimal effort to establish a trade, even a labourer, would indicate to me that they guessed at his age also. James as we know was a tramp and was probably treated as such by some administrators.
There are only a few James McLaren entries (including other surname variants) for the Dublin workhouses. These entries show that there was two elderly James McLarens active in the system. One was a weaver from Dublin and one was a shoemaker from Waterford. An entry is found for the weaver a few years after 1892 so this would rule him out. In any case a Dublin native is less likely to have no address than the tramp from Waterford. That just leaves our James.
I can see from the few confirmed workhouse entries that the age is inconsistent on the admittance and suggests its likely to be an estimate.

Offline kennymclawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 June 23 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the death certificate, this matches the 84 admission and 92 Glasnevin burial. Ive tried to send the Workhouse file but file size is too big.

Offline kennymclawrence

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile