Author Topic: Rochdale Cemetery  (Read 826 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rochdale Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Years covered are said to be 1855 to 1999
All films are open
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1003215?availability=Family%20History%20Library
I didn't find the graves registers straightforward, you will probably have to search by date of first burial/purchase (which can be tricky sometimes)
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
Deleted, error ::)

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 August 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonw65 thanks for the information  Anne
Davies,McMahon,Mullan,Mitchell,Haworth,Horrocks,Cocker,Crowther, Wood,Trainor.

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 August 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everybody who has offered help.   I was advised by Rochdale local studies that a headstone was erected on 29th March by John Henry Bottomley.

I will now look further into the Whiteleys. 

Michele

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 August 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
I can’t find any biological connection between the Whiteley’s and the Bottomley’s at the moment.

1883 - Fred Bottomley b 1863 married Sarah Ann Collier b 1865.  No children on subsequent censuses but a son John James was born & died 1900 in Rochdale.   John Henry was b 1902 in Blackpool - perhaps the sea air had some beneficial effect 😀
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 August 20 20:16 BST (UK) »

Hi Michelew, We went to Rochdale cemetery, we searched all over Sq R but we couldn't find Charles and Sophia's Grave. Most of the graves have no number and a lot of them are in poor condition.  But right at the end we found Florence and John Henry Bottomley's grave. Hopefully I can upload it now for you. Anne   
Sorry I'm having issues uploading the photo, I've tried resizing it but it won't upload.

Offline michelew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 August 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Anne   -  Thank you so much for the photo - it means a lot to me.    The information I have was given to me by Janet at Local Studies.    The reels in Local Studies are sometimes quite difficult to read, and there are usually two grave details on each page, so I am guessing that might be where the problem lies.    Sending me this picture is all the information I require.    Once again thank you.
Once this pandemic goes maybe I can get to Rochdale again - I have a book with lots of info I have scribbled down - for me to get some answers.   The trouble now for me is I have to get a train from Widnes to Mcr Piccadilly -then tram to Victoria and then train to Rochdale, then walk up Maclure Road and on to Touchstones or get a tram from station to Rochdale centre and then walk the rest.    I don't mind usually but I am 74 and a bit slow and unsteady on my feet - My husband comes with me and we have our lunch out in town - we have to leave latest 4.00 pm to start off back to get a train to Widnes otherwise they go straight on to Liverpool Lime Street.  When we lived in Rochdale our concessionary bus pas covered us for trams and trains as well as the buses - but Widnes (Halton Council) only cover us for buses.    Regards and best wishes  Michele

Offline Raysgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 20 20:45 BST (UK) »

Hi Michelew, Your very welcome glad I could help you. The journey from Widnes to Rochdale sounds long and costly when passes don't cover train as well as buses. Glad the photo was helpful in your research and if you need anymore help you can message me and if I can I will.  This is a really good place to get answers, everyone is so helpful. Regards Anne

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 August 20 21:06 BST (UK) »
The information I have was given to me by Janet at Local Studies.    The reels in Local Studies are sometimes quite difficult to read, and there are usually two grave details on each page, so I am guessing that might be where the problem lies.   

I provided a link to the relevant graves register on FamilySearch!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-J3D4-R898

Super photo, Anne. That must be the grave with only those interred in later years - or rathertheir cremated remains - being on the headstone?