Author Topic: Baptism vs Christening  (Read 1984 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism vs Christening
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 August 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
I have just read through the chapter on baptism in a 1709 Church of Scotland handbook which I have here. The word christen never appears, only baptise.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 09 August 20 06:07 BST (UK) »
This happened to me. I was baptized by a midwife because she thought I was in danger of dying. She chose my name and my parents had to stick with it because I was baptized with that name. And yet here I am over 70 years later. Stuck with a name that was spelt in a different way to the usual spelling which still causes me problems.

Venelow
Canada

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 09 August 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
robbo43, I agree with your view .... as I mentioned earlier.
Just remembered I've neither been baptised nor christened myself, because my Mum's sister made such a fuss about wanting to be there, .... and kept finding reasons why she couldn't make it.... and eventually my parents gave up trying to fix days!
Having said that, I attended a Baptist chapel and Sunday School as a youngster, and even acted as a Sunday School Teacher for years, there ... and everyone, including the minister,  knew I'd never been either christened nor baptised!
-Do you think that might help me out of limbo, if I ever find myself there?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 09 August 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Well, you are going nowhere ,there ain’t no such place as Limbo,unless you are addicted to dancing almost on the floor!
Handy if you ever get locked in a public toilet!
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 09 August 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
Now: that conjures up quite an image!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 09 August 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
Well, you are going nowhere ,there ain’t no such place as Limbo,unless you are addicted to dancing almost on the floor!
Viktoria.

lol, I agree with Yorky;  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 August 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Viktoria.

That's resurrected a memory of being stuck in the school outdoor lav. when I was a small child. An equally small classmate managed to get in and unlock the door. I can't remember whether she crawled under the door or partition or climbed over aided by a foot-up from a bigger girl. There were very few obese 5 year-olds in my day.
Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 10 August 20 23:11 BST (UK) »
And that reminds of jokers who used to put notices in toilets that had doors that did not reach the floor .
“ BEWARE LIMBO DANCERS”.
Viktoria.

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 August 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
I think that christening was a naming ceremony and that baptism was the water from the font so maybe at that time it was sometimes separated but now the 2 things are interchangeable for infant baptism or christening. 
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)