Author Topic: irish roots o neil,mc shane, scullion,cavnah family  (Read 6422 times)

Offline ellen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
irish roots o neil,mc shane, scullion,cavnah family
« on: Thursday 25 August 05 00:51 BST (UK) »
i am trying to trace my irish roots from limerick, my dads mum was born in limerick around 1885/86 all i have is my grandparents marriage certificate which tells me they were married on 12th july 1907 in st johns rc chapel in barrhead scotland my grans name was katherine o neil and her parents were william and mary o neil ms scullion, my grandads name was matthew mc shane i dont know if he also came from limerick no record of him here in scotland his parents were john and mary mc shane ms cavnah my grandad was born around 1881/82 i am going by the info. on their marriage certificate as it only gives me their ages 21yrs and 25yrs. both of my grandparents dads are down as deceased on their marriage certificate my dad john was born on 3rd oct. 1907 in neilston scotland as you will notice the dates my gran was expecting my dad when she and my grandad married, maybe thats why she left limerick i never knew my grandparents as they both died in 1958 i was only 3 yrs old when they died , my dad never spoke about his parents it was my mum who told me my gran was from limerick not sure about my grandad i got the info. re. their marriage from my dads birh certificate sadly my parents are both dead now so there is no way i can find any info. re. my grandparents i would be entirely grateful if there is someone who can help me with my search as i would truly love to find my irish roots yours gratefuly  ellen. :'(

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: irish roots o neil,mc shane, scullion,cavnah family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 05 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen - Irish birth certs start from 1864 (Church of Ireland marriages from 1845).If your gran was definitely from Limerick then you could apply for her birth cert giving  all the details- name,approx year,religion,parents names(maiden name of mother)to the Registrar in Limerick.If you are successful you would discover whereabouts she was born. You could try for your grandad too.
Each cert costs 6-98 euros(Isent 7euros cash)
If you have no luck-maybe the county is wrong you could try the main Registrar in Dublin-this takes a lot longer as they are very busy. I have found them all very helpful (could even be Northern Ireland).
Maybe you could then apply for the marriage certificates of your great-grandparents as you have their names. They( gp+ggp) could possibly be on the 1901 census of Ireland, Scotland or England.
Here's the address-

M.W.H.B.                (This is Limerick County - different address for Limerick City)
Health Centre
Newcastlewest
Limerick
Ireland
Tel (061) 62545

This is the link - click on 'fees' to get the addresses etc .of all the  different offices in Ireland.

http://www.groireland.ie/

I hope this helps

Regards   

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 August 05 08:06 BST (UK) »
neptune thankyou for the info. i am going to dublin in nov. with my daughter i will check the gro when i am there, i want to find out where my grandparents came from so i can visit were they were born, i found were they were buried here in scotland and it turns out the lair they are buried in belongs to me as it was my dad who bought it when he died it went to me i didnt know anything about it until last sep. when i found out were my grandparents were buried and the woman in the office told me she gave me a copy of the lair papers wish i had found this out before my parents died as i would have buried them with my grandparents as the lair holds 4 so sad i wish my dad had spoke to me about his parents anyway once again thankyou.  ellen

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 August 05 13:10 BST (UK) »
GRO moved from Dublin to Roscommon several months ago.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 August 05 19:01 BST (UK) »
I don't know if any of these are yours, but these are the William O'Neil(l)'s that were on the Limerick city trade directories:

Name   Trade   RegYear   No   Address
O'Neill William   Flour & Meal Dealers   1886   35   William Street
O'Neill William   Grocers   1879   3   Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Grocers   1880   2   Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Grocers   1875       Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Grocers   1877   2   Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Grocers & Spirit Dealers   1884   2   Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Grocers & Spirit Dealers   1870   2   Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Painters & Glaziers   1846       Nicholas Street
O'Neill William   Wine & Spirit Dealers   1877   2   Wickham Street
O'Neill William   Wine & Spirit Merchants   1867   
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 August 05 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi L23

Thanks for the update - Hopefully the link will show the new address.

Thanks again

Neptune

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 August 05 14:03 BST (UK) »
General Register Office, Government Offices,
Convent Road, Roscommon.
Tel: 090 6632900