Author Topic: National Archives of Scotland look up with reference  (Read 2048 times)

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
National Archives of Scotland look up with reference
« on: Thursday 25 August 05 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - I hope I am putting this in the right place.  I found a link on here recently that led me to a reference code for a letter of reference for a relative of mine in 1808.  I have found 2 different family trees for this family, and have become quite confused.  This letter is the one ( I assume) that an uncle wrote to recommend his nephew for a promotion in the Military.  I would assume that he would explain his family connection in the letter - to show his (the nephews) pedigree and worth  :-)

Anyways - I live in canada - so the chance to get to England and Scotland is about 5 years away in our long term plan.  If anyone is happening to go to the Archives and could get a copy of this letter it would be greatly appreciated. 

Here is the reference information off of the online database.

Papers of the Dundas Family of Melville, Viscounts Melville (Melville Castle Papers) 
 Requests made to Henry Dundas and Robert Dundas, 1st and 2nd Viscounts Melville and their successors, for appointments and favours, 1780-1882. Military requests are listed at GD51/6/1-767, civil patronage requests are listed at GD51/6/768-2380. The first name given in each entry is the sender of the letter (sponsor); the second part is the office or favour sought; the last name is the person for whom the post or favour is requested. 

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

CountryCode GB
RepCode 234
Repository National Archives of Scotland
RefNo GD51/6/675 
Title James Horne; [employment on an expedition]; Major [William] Stewart
Date 9 Aug 1808
AccessStatus Open

My fingers are crossed

Tom
census information is crown copyright
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
durham - moon, bowman, waters
kent - millgate, hatcher, cox, alaby, gibbs, goodbourne, hollams
lancashire - dears, bradborn, matthews, burke
london - mears
northumberland - curry, grey
yorkshire - bergan, ackney, irwin, sclaes, metcalf, crosby
caithness - stewart, waters, gunn, cormack, horne
refrewshire - houston, dow
hamburg germany - dears ( deircs)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives of Scotland look up with reference
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 November 05 11:45 GMT (UK) »
have you tried contacting the NAS with the details you have .... they are usually good enough to give a quote for copying and posting the information out to you.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/contact/default.asp  has an email address