Author Topic: Reasons for DNA test - which kit?  (Read 842 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for DNA test - which kit?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
I don't trust MyHeritage one bit.  It claimed to find many more matches than Ancestry had, but I recognized none of them as relatives although I have extensive trees on all sides of the family.  Most of them were in the USA; very few were in the UK or Ireland where I would expect to find the majority.  And a fair number of the names looked Jewish to me, which is suspicious.

Don't rush to subscribe to Ancestry; a few weeks after the test results I think they'll offer you four months at a special price.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

guest189040

« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
I don't trust MyHeritage one bit.  It claimed to find many more matches than Ancestry had, but I recognized none of them as relatives although I have extensive trees on all sides of the family.  Most of them were in the USA; very few were in the UK or Ireland where I would expect to find the majority.  And a fair number of the names looked Jewish to me, which is suspicious.

Don't rush to subscribe to Ancestry; a few weeks after the test results I think they'll offer you four months at a special price.

That sounds like Sage advice to me.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 20 15:37 BST (UK) »

Conversely I have found MyHeritage to be far more useful than Ancestry from a DNA point of view.

You pays your money and you make your choice. No one can tell you which will be best for your personal circumstances.

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 August 20 14:42 BST (UK) »

Conversely I have found MyHeritage to be far more useful than Ancestry from a DNA point of view.

You pays your money and you make your choice. No one can tell you which will be best for your personal circumstances.

I don't have any experience with Ancestry DNA testing or results, but I agree with David that MyHeritage has been very useful and I find it very user friendly. I believe MyHeritage is an Israeli company which may account for the results and the popularity in certain parts of the world. I have had decent matches through My Heritage for 6 kits I have access to.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 August 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
always always test with ancestry, it's where you get the most results and you can upload your results to other sites, but you can't upload other tests to ancestry
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 August 20 17:54 BST (UK) »
 Wee Hugh

Regarding more american and jewish matches that is not necessarily wrong or suspicious

Your ancestors may have siblings who emigrated and married people of jewish origin

More Americans take dna tests because they dont  know their origins .

None of my close Smith and Jones relatves have tested
but descendants of  siblibngs of 3 great grandfathers, and one of my mothers cousins who emigrated have tested.

I have many jewish matches ...my grandmother s birth father was Jewish but we woldnt have known that from her surname

Also for some reason the Jewish ethnicity seems to show up strongly ie even if a very distant match at around 7cm  ..shared matches show up which doesnt happen with my scottish relatives even at 22cm.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson