Author Topic: Where were they baptised and married?  (Read 440 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Where were they baptised and married?
« on: Saturday 08 August 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
Henry Guttridge was born c1698  he first married Helen ? I think her maiden name could have been Swadling again born c 1698 not sure where either were born nor where they were married, however their children were born/bap in Rearsby Leicestershire and both of them are buried in Rearsby.

Their first child was born in 1718 in Rearsby , so likely they married 1716-1718

Any help on their baptisms or where they married would be much appreciated ::)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where were they baptised and married?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
The only marriage for Henry gutteridge in rearsby, according to phillimores marriages, is to Mary skillington in 1728

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mvann it is the only marriage I can also find.

Helen died and was buried  in Rearsby in Sept 1727 leaving Henry with 4 young children under 10yrs old, he married Mary Skillington 18 August 1729 in Rearsby and they went on to have more  children.

I can only assume both Henry and Helen married and moved to Rearsby from elsewhere...with limited information on records  and limited amount of records around that time 'where' they moved from is difficult to find

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 22:45 BST (UK) »
I do notice someone had a baptism for one of the kids found on ancestry earlier. I'll see if I can refind the link.
https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/pop-oswald-tree/P5062.php
Found it

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
Just had a look it doesn't give me any additional  clues....although I see they also have Hellens 'potential' maiden name as SWADLING  which I have in my notes ( and I am not sure from where I got that) so I can't say it IS her maiden name as I have not found their marriage or her baptism record. They also have Hellen as being born in Rearsby however I never found her in records in Rearsby or elsewhere in Leicestershire or further afield.

I was in Rearsby about 20 yrs ago and was able to have a look at the parish diary, then went to Wigston records office to look at the parish records, so I have all the baptisms of Henry/Hellens five children and the death of John and Mary ( two of their children) one before Hellen died and one after he married Mary along with Henry, first wife Hellen and second wife Mary burials, all in Rearsby.

As I can't find any real proof of any records  I think this has halted my research of these two lines ( for now) I have a 'feeling' they are both Leicestershire people, convinced they did marry as they had all their children baptised ::) But my 'feelings' and 'conviction' is no substitute for real records....grrrrrr ;D