Author Topic: Janet Boyd - Lambie Farms (Pilmuir Farms)  (Read 898 times)

Offline A77bruin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Janet Boyd - Lambie Farms (Pilmuir Farms)
« on: Saturday 08 August 20 22:17 BST (UK) »
My husband's name is Iain Hamilton and he was born in Paisley Scotland.   His great-grandmother, Janet Boyd, worked at Alexander (son of John and Margaret Lambie) Lambie's farm, Pilmuir Farm, in Scotland.  While working as a servant on the farm in 1893/4,  she became pregnant, left the farm, returned home to Blantyre and gave birth to my husband's grandfather, Thomas Boyd.  Iain always suspected that Alexander Lambie may have been his great-grandfather. On the 1891 census, Janet is listed as a servant aged 20.  The owner’s son is listed as Alexander Lambie aged 20 There are no records anywhere to indicate who the father of Thomas was.  His birth certificate lists him as illegitimate.  I have yet to find any baptismal papers.
When Thomas was about two years old, Janet left him with her parents and brothers to raise him, married John Stafford, and moved to Glasgow. Together Janet and John Stafford have three children:  Mary Stafford, John Stafford and Robert Stafford. I am hoping if there are grandchildren or great-grandchildren or even great-great grandchildren out there who might have a photo of Janet Boyd Stafford so my husband knows what his great-grandmother look like. He will probably never know for sure who his great-grandfather was, however, It would mean a lot to him to see a photo of his great-grandmother. Any help is so very much appreciated.

Bobbie Hamilton

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Boyd - Lambie Farms (Pilmuir Farms)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 20 16:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!
No photograph I am afraid, but there is one online of Thomas Boyd. Tree online states Janet Boyd b.24/6/1870 Clyde, Glasgow, d. 1941 104, Dalintober Street, Glasgow. Janet's parents John Boyd 1842-1894, and Mary Milldown 1847-1903. -the trees go back to 1758, but will need much checking out of course.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline A77bruin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 August 20 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for responding.  I am the one who posted that photo of Thomas Boyd.  It is his mother, Janet Boyd, that I am hoping has a photo out there somewhere!

Thanks again!

BOBBIE HAMILTON

Offline A77bruin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
HELLO:  I have been searching for descendants from Janet Boyd Stafford (1870) and John Stafford for 2 years.....I keep hitting dead ends.  Janet was my husband's great-grandmother.  She gave birth to his grandfather Thomas Boyd in 1894.  He was illegitimate.  She left him behind in Blantyre to be raised by Janet’s parents and siblings.  She married John Stafford and moved to Glasgow and gave birth to 3 more children:  Mary Boyd Stafford, John Boyd Stafford and Robert Stafford.  I am hoping somebody knows somebody who might just be related to Janet.  A grandchild?  ?  Even one of her many siblings.  I am looking for a photo of her.  I am so confident there is one out there....might be a needle in a haystack, but I am determined!  Thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
As you have her parents and siblings names plus her Stafford children's names - have you looked for marriages for them on Scotlands People?

Have you checked the Surname Interests board to see if anybody else is researching the family?  Scroll to bottom of this page and the link is under Tools

I see you have another post here so I have asked the moderator to merge them

topics merged

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Has your husband considered DNA?

Did Thomas Boyd name a father on his marriage cert?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline A77bruin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 September 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  I have looked on Scotland's People and keep coming up empty.  I am hoping, against the odds, that someone who knows something will reply!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
I have looked on Scotland's People and keep coming up empty.

SP has a 1943 marriage for a Mary Boyd Stafford and her death as Mulholland in 1980 aged 81

1925 marriage for a John Boyd Stafford and his death in 1989

Both deaths show mmn as Boyd

There is also a death in 1975 for a Robert Stafford aged 67 mmn Boyd

I think it’s more likely that her children/grandchildren would have a photo than her siblings

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:53 BST (UK) »
The Kirk Session Records for that parish might contain a clue. These were to be digitised but don't hold your breath!  ;D

Skoosh.