Author Topic: Joseph Thompson Death  (Read 4535 times)

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Thompson Death
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 19 December 21 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the pointers they have helped greatly! That's why I love this platform.

I've now found Joseph wife lily and 2 children in the 1939 census in Penge Kent!, Lily is down as a widower so it narrows the dates of Joseph death between 1923 and 1939.
Good chance I've been searching the wrong area for his death all this time!

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 19 December 21 18:00 GMT (UK) »

I had a quick look for him in the Preston burial register last time I went but I could not see him there under this year.  Perhaps this one might be at Church Bank or elsewhere.

Thanks RTL, I now think he may have died in a different location as I've found his wife and children in the 1939 census in Kent! Lily shows as a widower by then.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 19 December 21 18:05 GMT (UK) »
.....I now think he may have died in a different location as I've found his wife and children in the 1939 census in Kent! Lily shows as a widower by then.

There wasn't a census in 1939.
Were you looking at the 1939 National Register, by any chance?

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 09:00 GMT (UK) »

There wasn't a census in 1939.
Were you looking at the 1939 National Register, by any chance?
[/quote]

Yes that is what it will be then.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 24 December 21 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Just a slight nudge to the timeframe: Kelly's 1937 Directory of Beckenham & Penge has Mrs Thompson at 6 Maple Rd, as in the 1939 register. For some reason, the house isn't shown in the 1938 or 1939 directories, but she is in the 1939 electoral roll as Lilian Thompson (no Joseph, but other unrelated people, as in the 1939 register). Going backwards, the resident at No 6 is George Shepherdson from 1924 to 1936, and Joshua Bedford in 1923. Because the house was in multiple occupation and directories generally only show one resident, this doesn't prove she wasn't there also. To check further would need earlier ERs, which I don't have, but you could ask Bromley Local Studies to look for you. Tell them it's in Ward FF, as this long road was split between two. They may not charge for a quick lookup.

Thinking the Thompsons might have moved within the area covered by the directories, I checked on Mrs Thompsons (first names weren't usually given for women) and Joseph Thompsons in a few years before 1937, but eliminated all possibilities (e.g. they were also shown in 1937).

My guess after all that would be that she moved to Penge for some reason shortly after Joseph's death, which could have been around 1936, and this may have been elsewhere. If he did die in Penge, his most likely resting place would be Beckenham Crematorium & Cemetery. No Penge churches have burials.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Lisa8thompson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 24 December 21 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris, very interesting info you have supplied, I will contact the local studies you have mentioned and see if they can have a look.