Author Topic: Was child born in district it was registered in  (Read 383 times)

Offline Tekaham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Was child born in district it was registered in
« on: Sunday 09 August 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

I would like some help with understanding what I have found

I have an ancestor Elizabeth Whitehouse baptised in St. Lawrence's Church, Darlaston, Staffs on 20 June 1855. The "abode" on the register appears to be Butcroft which I think is an area  of nearby Wednesbury. The civil birth registration is in Walsall, also near by. Darlaston does not appear to have been part of the registration district of Walsall.

Is this information consistent for a single child? - or have I made a mistake?

Did parents live in Butcroft but the child was born in Walsall registration district?

Where children always registered in the registration district they where born in?

All help appreciated

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Was child born in district it was registered in
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 August 20 19:24 BST (UK) »
Darlaston was a part of the Registration District of Walsall from 1837 until 1935.
From 1st April 1935, it moved to Wednesbury Registration District.

See:https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/walsall.html

Births should have been registered in the RD in which the birth occurred.

According to Google Maps, Butcroft Gardens, Wednesbury is just 0.3 miles from Darlaston Town Hall! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Births are supposed to be registered in the district where they took place.

However, a cousin told me that her husband was born while the family was on holiday in Wales, but registered at home in Hertfordshire -- giving a false date to avoid paying a fine for late registration.  My grandmother was born on holiday in Devon and registered there but six months later: GGfather, a clergyman, may have preferred to pay up rather than tell a lie!

As far as I know, it's possible to register elsewhere but state that the birth had taken place in a different registration district, when presumably the papers would be sent to that district.  Perhaps one of our knowledgeable rootschatters can confirm or refute that.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
The 1874 Registration Act says

6. Any person required by this Act to give information con­cerning a birth, who removes before such birth is registered out of the sub-district in which such birth has taken place, may, within three months after such birth, give the information by making and signing in the presence of the registrar of the sub-district in which he resides a declaration in writing of the particulars required to be registered concerning such birth; and such registrar ­on payment of the appointed fee shall receive and attest the declaration and send the same to the registrar of the sub-district in which the birth took place; and the last-mentioned registrar shall, in the prescribed manner, enter the birth in the register; and the entry so made shall be deemed, for the purposes of the Births and Deaths Registration Acts, 1836 to 1874, to have been signed by the person who signed the declaration. A person making a declaration in pursuance of this section in the case of any birth shall be deemed to have complied with the provisions of this Act as to giving information concerning that birth, and with any requisition of the registrar made under this Act within the said three months to attend and give information concerning that birth

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tekaham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks everybody - I misunderstood the information I found about registration district of Walsall