Author Topic: Henry Leeson of Packington  (Read 965 times)

Offline judypur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Leeson of Packington
« on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been unable to find a baptism for Henry Leeson of Packington born about 1815.  He married Mary Marvin at St Margaret in 1836.  He is s brick maker.  He died in 1881.

(He is not the Henry Leeson born in Hinkley).

The Leicestershire Archives are currently closed so I was wondering if anyone had access to Bastardy Bonds to see if Henry appears in either Packington (or maybe St Margaret).   Or access to Poor Records of Packington to see if there is any mention of Henry listed as a child on his parents record. (Difficulty is I don't know the parents as I have been unable to find a baptism). 

If anyone is able to assist it would be appreciated. 

Thank you
Judy

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Leeson of Packington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 17:28 BST (UK) »
Judy, cannot find a Henry, but is your thinking his mother is Jane, as she had a daughter bap 4.1.1815 in Packington and was a single parent. Or parents William/ Phebe who had a daughter bap in 1813 Packington.

John

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Looking at the other Leeson births in Packington about that time, all of them are children of William & Pheobe. His 1st son was also named William.

William Leeson married Pheobe Kendrick, Packington 1796

Online willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 21:45 BST (UK) »
I have had a look at a trusty disc and found Jane Leeson as John mentioned. In case it helps in your search, the file no. is QS5/1/10 the chap named is Henry Watson.
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline judypur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for everyone's reply, I'll answer each:

JohnHood - At present I am thinking either William or Jane are candidates to be Henry's father.  Henry named his first child William and his second child Jane so this is not very helpful.   I was thinking that if Jane was the mother then there may be a bastardy bond. 

Klouman - Yes, William married Pheobe in 1796, this was his second marriage.  Jane above is from his first marriage.  William was having children with his second wife Pheobe at the time that Jane had one child that I know of.  I'm thinking that either William and Pheobe or Jane and unknown father may be Henry's parents.   However I can't prove either yet and could be on the wrong track.

Willsy - Now the bastardy bond for Jane is interesting given it mentions a Henry Watson as the father, makes one wonder if my Henry Leeson might have been named after his father.  I know that Jane had one child out of wedlock at the beggining of 1815 so the bond may be for this other child.  However this is definitely a record that I will check when the Leicestershire archives open. 

Thank you everyone for your assistance, your replies have been great.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi judypur.

In your query you said Jane Bapt a Daug 1/4/1815.

FreeREG has it as a Son Joseph.

Also do you have a Burial for Jane?
There is one 17 Oct 1819 Melton Mowbray age 24

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline judypur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Yes, Joseph is correct.

I didn't have the death record for Jane.  Now that may explain why records are difficult to find.  I'll check this one out.    Thank you.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 15:51 BST (UK) »
Do you think Joseph could possibly be your Henry?

If that is Janes burial (which is very likely) then who would be looking after Henry.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline judypur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 20 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that's an interesting thought, it certainly wouldn't be the first time a baptism had errors/inconsistencies.   I've just tried searching census docs for Joseph Leeson born 1815 of Packington and haven't conclusively located him on any census yet.   

As to who may have looked after him if that is the death record for Jane, that I'm not sure.   As he married in 1836, he's on all census doc's with his wife.  If the father was Henry Watson, then maybe Henry took him on and renamed him after himself?   Lots of theories, trying to prove or disprove these will be difficult.  (I'm looking forward to the Leicestershire Archives opening so I can get the bastardy bond for Jane Leeson and Henry Watson).

I'll have another search of the census doc's tomorrow just in case I've missed it.   

Thanks again