Author Topic: William Maudson / Elizabeth Walker circa 1780  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Maudson / Elizabeth Walker circa 1780
« on: Thursday 25 August 05 06:01 BST (UK) »
I would like to get the earliest census entry for William Maudson.  I don't know his date of birth, but he was an Excise Officer and was married to Elizabeth Walker.  The following is the little I know of him:

William Maudson. He married Elizabeth Walker 9 OCT 1805 in South Wingfield, Derby, England.

Children of William Maudson and Elizabeth Walker are:
 i.   Mary Maudson was born 2 JAN 1807 in Chesterfield, Derby, England.
  ii.   Richard Maudson was born 24 DEC 1808 in Derby, England.
  iii.   Joseph Walker Maudson was born 21 MAY 1813 in Derby, England, and died BEF. 1881.
  iv.   William Thomas Maudson was born 5 JAN 1824 in Chesterfield, Derby, England, and died BEF. 1881.

Any help with finding when or where he was born (1841 census?) would be appreciated.

Thank you
Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Maudson / Elizabeth Walker circa 1780
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 05 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

These are the only Maudson's in the 1851 census index

Maudson   Elizabeth   63   2147 674   62
Maudson   Richard Thomas 14   2147 674   62

Maudson Joseph W  10           2147   375     93
Maudson   William   12   2147   375    93

2147 covers the Chesterfield registration district. 674 is Newbold and Dunston and 375 is Chesterfield.

I have checked the 1841 census of Newbold and Dunston but cannot see anything for any Maudson's.

I will check Chesterfield tomorrow if no body else has done it by then

Sunflower

Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Here they are

1841 census
St.Mary's Gate East
Chesterfield

William Maudson 60 - In the excise- Not born in County
Elizabeth Maudson 50 - Yes
Joseph Maudson 25 Ind. Yes
Ellen Maudson 25 Yes
Richard Maudson 5 Yes
William 3 Yes
Joseph 6 months Yes

Sunflower
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 August 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for doing this lookup.  The other Maudsons come in handy as they are probably relatives.

Cheers
Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 August 05 00:46 BST (UK) »
The 1851 entry and the 1841 entry appear to be the same family.  William must have passed away between 1841 and 1851.

Does anyone know what the 'Ind' in

"Joseph Maudson 25 Ind. Yes"

stands for?  Maybe he is William's brother as William appears to have a son, William.

Very confusing.

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 05 00:56 BST (UK) »
Nevermind.  I've worked out what happened.

In 1841 William and Elizabeth where living with their son Joseph and his wife and children.

William, Joseph and Ellen appear to have passed away in the following 10 years, leaving Elizabeth to look after her grandchildren.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 05 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie

The 1841 census doesn't give much information at all apart from Name. age, occupation and No or Yes as to whether they were born in that County. Ind. was in the occupation column for Joseph which means Indepentent.

Sunflower
Warwickshire - Russon

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 August 05 07:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sunflower.  In this case though it was enough to help me find other sources to confirm what happened with the family.   I found the death records for Joseph, Ellen and William.  Once I get these death certificates I'll be able to go back further still.

Cheers
Leonie