Author Topic: Living DNA Problems  (Read 2332 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA Problems
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 October 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Are there other websites I can upload my DNA to?
I do not need the whole world; just a UK search.
Supposedly by Christmas, MyHeritage are going to implement improvements to their ethnicity estimates. They also do sometimes offer uploads with free tools like chromosome browser, clustering at Xmas too. You can upload now but you'd have to pay about £20 to get those tools (and I think) see ethnicity estimates but you can see matches for free.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 October 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Up until last Christmas, you could upload to My Heritage and see all your matches for free. I did, - and I still can.

However, the cutoff for this was last Christmas. When I uploaded my daughter’s test from Ancestry in January, the upload was free, but to see any of her matches, I had to pay £29+ VAT. This still applies.

The Chromosome browser and clustering are still free.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 October 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
Up until last Christmas, you could upload to My Heritage and see all your matches for free. I did, - and I still can.

However, the cutoff for this was last Christmas. When I uploaded my daughter’s test from Ancestry in January, the upload was free, but to see any of her matches, I had to pay £29+ VAT. This still applies.

Romilly.
Thanks for the clarification Romilly. But what use are the chromosome browser and clustering if you can't see any of the matches ??? ;D?

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 October 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
I meant that you don’t have to pay extra for them, melba.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 October 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
I meant that you don’t have to pay extra for them, melba.

Romilly.
Oh I see. I am surprised that you can't even see matches without paying. I am not sure what the point of the free upload is in that case.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 October 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
I took my test with Living DNA pointed there by Find My Past.
On their website, they mention ancestry DNA testing many times; but not Ancestry.

I have now found: 'Remember, when purchasing Findmypast DNA, you also have the option to take advantage of our Deep Ancestry Upgrade - a 3-in-1 test that includes autosomal, mtDNA and Y-DNA.' Other parts of the website suggest all is included.

I am reaching the point of calling it a day. If I do not get any progress next week, I will go somewhere else.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 October 20 22:02 BST (UK) »

Romilly.

I think the cut off was around Christmas 2018 rather than last year. I remember only missing out on uploading my father’s raw data from FTDNA to My Heritage by a few weeks, and I got his FTDNA results on 18th December 2018, so it must have been shortly after that.

I thought that the chromosome browser and clustering tools are only opened after payment of the “unlock“ fee? It has been a while and I didn’t explore My Heritage results thoroughly before paying to “unlock” but I vaguely remember them not being too useful unless you pay up to “unlock“. I think it was worth paying to do so.

I uploaded my raw data for free years ago.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 October 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
No, I uploaded for free Christmas 2018, and I persuaded one of my DNA matches on Ancestry to upload to MH in Spring 2019, -all still free then.

However, my daughter tested Christmas 2019, and when I uploaded her test in January 2020, I had to pay the unlock fee to see her matches.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 October 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
No, I uploaded for free Christmas 2018, and I persuaded one of my DNA matches on Ancestry to upload to MH in Spring 2019, -all still free then.

However, my daughter tested Christmas 2019, and when I uploaded her test in January 2020, I had to pay the unlock fee to see her matches.

Romilly.
So that is about £35 including VAT. The MyHeritage test is currently on offer for £49 (often seems to be), however as I understand it there are hidden costs, you have to pay the postage to the US, and also you have to subscribe for at least a year, or perhaps you can also pay the £35 just to get the tool without subscribing, it's all a bit confusing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MyHeritage-DNA-Test-Kit-Ethnicity/dp/B072SY5JHQ/