Author Topic: Living DNA Problems  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Living DNA Problems
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 October 20 09:28 BST (UK) »

Yes, - the unlock fee is definitely better value, I think.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 October 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
No, I uploaded for free Christmas 2018, and I persuaded one of my DNA matches on Ancestry to upload to MH in Spring 2019, -all still free then.

However, my daughter tested Christmas 2019, and when I uploaded her test in January 2020, I had to pay the unlock fee to see her matches.

Romilly.

I feel ripped off now.  :'( I paid waaay before that.

According to this https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/12/starting-today-new-dna-upload-policy/ paying to unlock all the good features was introduced on Dec 16th, 2018.  :-\

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Today I had a response from Living DNA.

‘Due to the global situation surrounding Covid-19 and the restrictions that we are all following, we are operating with a reduced staff. We're sorry that this has meant our customer service response time has been increased and that you have received a delayed reply.

It looks like you bought your kit through our partners at Find My Past, and did not purchase the Deep Ancestry upgrade when you purchased. This means we have not run the mitochondrial or Y-DNA tests and therefore have no results available to view or download.

If you would like to receive your maternal and paternal ancestry, you can purchase this upgrade through the store in your portal.’

Having received my autosomal file and relatives, the Y-DNA and mtDNA data continued to offer the same message. ‘Sorry there was a problem downloading your Y-DNA/mtDNA data. Please try again later.’ Nothing says I have to upgrade to see this information. Why not say I have to pay for the upgrade?

Their shop, offers a ‘Deep ancestry upgrade’ for £29.00, which goes on to say; ‘See your mtDNA and YDNA reports and explore your ancient migration paths spanning 80,000yrs, historic data and maps, and see where people live today who share your DNA.’ I want to go back one generation, not 80,000 years. What my family were doing in the stone-age, is of no interest.

I have decided not to purchase their upgrade. The information they offer and more importantly their lack of information is poor. These may be difficult times, which seems the perfect excuse for them, rather than accepting they are under-staffed. This was my last hope in going back a generation: so it is time to call it a day and get on with my life. I will delete my information and findings from Living DNA. Thanks to the Rootschatters who have helped over the years; and GOODBYE!

Offline Kenneal67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
I did that upgrade too think it was 29 or 30 quid. Told me my haplogroups.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 October 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have had enough of the company, they can shove it where the sun does not shine.

Offline kc_1560

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 October 20 04:25 BST (UK) »
When I originally tested with Living DNA i was quite happy with the breakdown, especially for England-it matched my paper trail quite well, though I know it's not necessarily as simple as that. It was also interesting to get my haplogroup. But with the latest update I am suddenly 9% Tuscany, which makes no sense. I also paid AUD$110 for the well being report, but was very disappointed as it's full of very general information like: 'If you spend a lot of time indoors, you may benefit from vitamin D supplements.'

I wrote to them to say that this kind of information was not value for the money I paid-they said it may become more detailed in the future :(

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I tried to upload my FTDNA file but it does not work. It stops in the first stage. It is not possible to fill in the names.

It would be nice to see more specific ethnicity estimation. What earlier was British Isles on FTDNA changed to 1/3 England and 2/3 Ireland in the new version.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I had the same problem at the start. They said their website did not like the Firefox browser, I was to clear all cookies and allow tracking. I continued to use Firefox and cookies were not an issue. Every time I entered their site, I had to ensure tracking was enabled. Then I could fill in those fields. Once registered, each time I still had to ensure tracking was turned off to enter the site and again to find my files. Why they need to follow everything you do I don't know, as others do not have that issue.
In the end, I was so fed-up with them I deleted my account.

Offline Matti

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 19 November 20 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I had the same problem at the start. They said their website did not like the Firefox browser, I was to clear all cookies and allow tracking. I continued to use Firefox and cookies were not an issue. Every time I entered their site, I had to ensure tracking was enabled. Then I could fill in those fields. Once registered, each time I still had to ensure tracking was turned off to enter the site and again to find my files. Why they need to follow everything you do I don't know, as others do not have that issue.
In the end, I was so fed-up with them I deleted my account.

Thanks for the help. I usually use Firefox but Microsoft Edge had no problem.