Author Topic: VJ Day  (Read 1369 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VJ Day
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 13 September 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Nanna52, perhaps it might be because you are an Aussie that you are familiar with the Vivian Bullwinkle story.  Thank goodness she survived to be a witness!  Until this weekend I had never heard of Radji beach or the massacre until I chanced upon the astonishing biography for Robert on Find A Grave.  I never expected to find a story like that emerging from one of my own local cemeteries.  That is so sad about the friend of your parents who kept on reliving his ordeal.  That sounds like living hell.  I hope he was somehow able to get help and heal. 

Viktoria, I agree that remembering is not being vindictive, which would not be helpful.  Remembering will hopefully help prevent attrocities like this happening again.  Perhaps if people get the message that they cannot behave like this with impunity, - they will be found out and brought to account to the rest of the world - this type of thing might not happen, or happen less.  I also think remembering is also a way of honouring the memory of those who have suffered.  We are saying they are still important and that their experiences have not become trivialised through the passing of time. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VJ Day
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 September 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
Michael you and I seem to have posted at the same time.

Thank you so much for all this and for posting the biography on Find A Grave.  I realise that your post on there is a watered down version but it was very startling all the same.  As you say there are other more harrowing accounts.

Well done to you for bringing this story to our local attention in particular by taking the time to do that write up on Find A Grave after all your research and now for posting in response on here.  We must never forget these poor men and women who served and suffered and died.

You must feel especially connected to Robert, knowing that he was once a member of your own Scout group.  I hope Louisa was spared the full story of how her husband died.

Lest We Forget
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner