Author Topic: Help with paternal grandfather... Alexander Lochrie  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Marc.lochrie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with paternal grandfather... Alexander Lochrie
« on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I’m new to this, so apologies if I’m not doing something correctly, or if this is in the wrong place. I’ve been researching my family tree for some time now, and have managed to get many generations back, but always end up fixating on my paternal grandfather Alexander Lochrie. He lived in Muirkirk and died in 1941. His full name was Alexander Watson Lochrie. He died when my dad was fairly young and he doesn’t remember much about him. I know it’s a long shot, but wondered if there’s anyone on here who knows anything about him, or even the lochrie family in Muirkirk. I feel like I have all the documents etc to ID people and link everyone up but would love to know more about them.

Probably a ridiculous ask, but worth a try...

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with paternal grandfather... Alexander Lochrie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

That's a tough one since almost 80 years since his death its pretty hard to find his bud's, or what was his favorite pub or football team.  Did you try the library and local papers from pre 1940? 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
If you go to Scotlands People website you will be able to download your grandparents wedding this will give you their age and names of parents including mothers maiden name you will be able to search for their marriage and your grandfathers birth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 20 13:37 BST (UK) »
I’ve been researching my family tree for some time now, and have managed to get many generations back, but always end up fixating on my paternal grandfather Alexander Lochrie.
I am assuming that you have got all the birth, marriage and death certificates from Scotland's People, and that what you want to know is about your grandfather's life?

What was his occupation on his marriage certificate, and on his death certificate and the birth certificates of his children (remember not to name the children here as they could still be living and RootsChat does not allow discussion of people who are or may be still living)?

How sure are you about the date of his death? I see that there is a grave mentioning an Alexander Watson Lochrie who died in 1949, not 1941, aged 38: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/134514938/alexander-watson-lochrie. There is a death certificate of Alexander Lochrie, registered in Mauchline in 1949. Is he the Alexander W Lochrie whose birth was registered in Glasgow Camlachie in 1911?

James Lochrie, mother's maiden surname Watson, died in Muirkirk in 1975 aged 68. David Lochrie, mother's maiden surname Watson, died in Muirkirk in 1992.

James Lochrie, aged 26, was injured in an accident in Kames Colliery, Muirkirk, in 1934. So it looks as if at least one of Alexander's brothers was a miner. However I can't see anything about Alexander Lochrie in the British Newspaper Archive on FindMyPast.

There could be school records, which would probably be in the care of Ayrshire Archives http://www.ayrshirearchives.org.uk/ - though I see that they are closed until 2021 so you will have to be patient.

If Alexander was also a miner, there might be employment records in an archive somewhere.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
Marc, check the Scottish Mining website for clues, maybe an accident or transfer?

www.scottishmining.co.uk/index.html

Bests,
Skoosh.