Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 16th August  (Read 854 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 16th August
« on: Sunday 16 August 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
Starting early tonight, see if anyone joins in.

Once again was drifting off to sleep last night when the brain kicked in so was awake till after three, woke a bit late this morning. Felt better physically, weather was grey but dry.

Same day as usual, went for a walk, looked like NN had gone away somewhere (hooray!), what a shame it wasn't on a day when I'd want to spend the whole day outside. Nevertheless, went in the garden and finally finished the work on the fence, all trellises in place, no holes for her to spy through and the ivy and clematis are starting to grow and cover the bare areas.

Had some lunch, did some domestic stuff, back outside to put weed and feed on the lawn and take some soft cuttings from geraniums etc. Nothing unusual or particularly enjoyable happened today, haven't seen or spoken to anyone so it hasn't been a great one. Ah well, I'm still here so that has to count for something.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday, 16 August 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 20 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have not long since finished work.  It has been a long 12 hour shift.  I am now sitting at the bus station passing time until my bus comes.  When I get in I will have five hours sleep and then it will be time to get up and get ready for another long shift.

Some homeless young men have just arrived with their blankets and cardboard boxes.  They sound quite boisterous and happy. I can hear them chatting and laughing behind me.    What a good thing they can be so cheerful despite having to sleep out for the night.
There are several other people waiting - including one canoodling couple!  :o What a racket - a noisy skate boarder has just passed through!  And I thought it would be peaceful when I got here tonight. ::)
Added .. a brash woman has just turned up .. I think she sounds a bit worse for drink.  She has just said to me "Are you one of those scared ones who wears a mask." and other daft things  ...  I do hope my bus won't be long...  Now she and partner have gone who knows where .. crazy woman asked me to come and tell her when the bus comes.  Fat chance of that I'm afraid!  I won't be going hunting for them.  Great bus is here!  I think she'll have to get a taxi.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday, 16 August 2020
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
 Glad you got rid of the awful woman and you sleep well, it must be exhausting starting again after only five hours.

I started a diary thread too, I keep doing that! Will ask for them to be merged.

Safe journey   :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 20 23:24 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness Roobarb - I am glad to get away from her!  One of the things she said was "Wouldn't it be great to have a Hannibal Lector in your life.  I think he's mint.". What sort of a crazy comment is that!  I just said " Well, I think the actor who played him is very nice.". She also asked if I was reading on my Kindle - quite nosey!!  . . I said no, I was sending emails.   ::) I thought it best not to reveal I was talking about her on RootsChat. I think it will serve her right now to have to get a taxi.  ;D
I might add I am now safe on the bus with sensible, quiet people who are keeping themselves to themselves. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
What a relief, she sounds a right one! Hope it's not too quiet now, don't want you falling asleep and missing your stop!  :o
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
I don't think I'll fall asleep Roobarb .. that awful woman has got my adrenaline going. I just hope I'll be able to sleep when I get in. She made several crazy comments.  If that is what drink does to her she should stay off it!  ::)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 20 05:35 BST (UK) »
Well, I didn't miss my stop Roobarb but as expected I wasn't able to get off to sleep straightaway.  I think I have had just over four hours sleep.  Hope todays 12 hours go quick.  I feel so tired and that is before I start.
 Also, hopefully your thread will be merged soon.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 16th August
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 August 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
RTL, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to sleep when you got home, seems that dreadful woman made it hard for you to switch off. It's bad enough for you having a long journey home after such a long shift without having to cope with people like that, I hope she didn't come too close to you. Sorry to have deserted you on your journey, I'm afraid I was the one who fell asleep.  :-[  Hope your shift goes well and you can get a good sleep when you get home.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 16th August
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear of your ghastly experience with the drunk woman, River Tyne Lass.   How you cope with your shifts I really don't know.

Yesterday woke after another good nights sleep to an overcast day.   Forecast said thunderstorms 12-1pm - didn't happen.   Neighbours who'd gone to Canterbury camping for the weekend returned home mid-morning.   Although forecast said otherwise (I'd checked) they had had torrential rain and arrived back with a wet tent.   Afternoon they, myself and downstairs neighbour sat outside chatting etc. and then the sun came out.   Lasted about an hour and then felt a few spots of rain.   Thought it would just pass over - wrong!   We didn't want to give in and grabbed large umbrella's, still thinking it would 'stop in a minute' but eventually had to concede defeat and return to our homes (amid lots of laughter).   All in all, some light relief in this troubled time.   Rain get steadily worse and lasted for around 3-4 hours - good point was that we wouldn't need to water that evening.

Ate quite late in the evening (potato skins with cheese/bacon) and didn't do an awful lot.   Some jigsaw, some repeats on TV, some RC and then bed.   Nothing exciting but a nice lazy day.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk