Author Topic: Looking for Elizabeth and Ellen Purkiss  (Read 1203 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth and Ellen Purkiss
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone for your help, it likes you have all identified Elizabeth and her mother Ellen and they are descended from the Purkisses from Eling. My DNA match is at a level to be 3rd - 4th cousin, so I would expect convergence of our lines at George (1789) or his father. But as my Purkiss's were from Hound and possibly Colden Common area in the late 1700s / early 1800s, I don't think that link is likely. I suspect that I'll have to go back quite a few more generations if that's possible and relationship to my DNA match would be too distant.
Although I haven't anyone in my line with the name Olford, he will be my next line of enquiry. Als my matches paternal grandfather was from that area of Hampshire -so another line. I had thought he was from Leicestershire, but only his wife was.
If I run into difficulties with either gentleman, I'll post on a new thread to avoid confusion.
Thank you all again.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Elizabeth and Ellen Purkiss
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:49 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is useful or not. It is certainly interesting.

Portsmouth Union Workhouse

Admission. Ellen PARKISS b 1859 and a son Alfred b 1879     Admitted 29 June 1881, discharged 24 Aug 1881.   Alfred recorded as dead 22 Jan 1883

GRO reg
PURKISS, ALFRED  ISAAC     - 
GRO Reference: 1879  M Quarter in PORTSEA ISLAND  Volume 02B  Page 439

Admission Ellen PURKIS b 1859 admitted 17 Sept 1887
son William born? 18 Feb 1888   

PURKIS, WILLIAM       - 
GRO Reference: 1888  M Quarter in PORTSEA ISLAND  Volume 02B  Page 447

No further note re William but Ellen discharged to the Inf[irmary]? 29 March 1898

I think that this Ellen is in the workhouse in the 1911 too. Age 55 in the register, Admitted in 1902 and discharged June 1911

I wonder if William survived, and if so, if he was a bricklayer?

Possible death for this Ellen?

Deaths Mar 1931 
Purkiss    Ellen E    71    Portsmouth    2b   869

On the baptism record for Alfred Isaac it gives his mother as Harriet (single woman) of 12 Trafalgar Street. It originally said John and Harriet but John has been crossed out. But on his burial record (28 Jan 1883, died at Union House Milton) it says son of Helen.   ???
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott