Author Topic: Can anyone date or place this photgraph  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone date or place this photgraph
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
Leicester Daily Post 25 November 1912
Neglect of Children.—John Newton (30), railway porter. 9. Court "B." Northgate-street, was summoned for having the custody of Cyril Tolley (five years) and Henry Newton (nine months), and neglecting them in a manner likely to cause them unnecessary suffering and injury to their health between May 20 and Nov 12 etc...

It goes on to say that he was often drunk and lost regular work through laziness. His wife did her best but was weak through the want of proper sustenance. He was sentenced to a month in prison with hard labour.

David

Another report 2 years later (Leicester Daily Post 13 April 1914)
"At the Borough Police Court, on Saturday, John Newton, labourer, 9 Court B Northgate Street, was sentenced to three months hard labour for neglecting his two children"

Jool
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
You may have found by now Marriage 1930 Leics of Cyril W TOLLEY to Florence DEWEY.

1 child born 1932

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 August 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the additional information on John Newton, Jool. I am certainly viewing him in a different light now. I know he was a POW in the first world war so maybe he changed when he came back to his family but my husband's mum and her older sister have opposing views about the kind of man their father was so I imagine he didn't actually change that much and Auntie Neva claimed that it was his fault that her mum lost the baby she was carrying and then died herself so I also imagine his poor wife, Lois, was not as happy in her marriage as I'd like to believe

I do have the date of the marriage of Cyril and Florence, Irish1120 but I hadn't been able to trace their child so that will help too, thank you.  :)

Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 August 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Its a great photo
The one who looks as if hes borrowed clothes is the best man or is he a father. That jacket drowns him

The bridesmaids bonnet is interesting too ,I would otherwise have assumed this wedding was earlier in 1920s
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 August 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you brigidmac, it is a lovely photo. I find the bridesmaids' bonnets interesting too. The bridesmaid on the left of the photo looks like she might be related to the bride but not sure about the other little bridesmaid not the matron of honour.

At first I thought it was definitely a 1920's wedding but now I am more convinced it is probably Cyril Tolley and Florence Dewey, I'm convinced the groom is a direct relation to my husband as there is such a likeness and given the fashions I think it can really only be his Uncle Cyril.

The man with the oversized jacket doesn't strike me as being one of the groom's brothers and I think he's about the same age as the groom so think he's more likely to be a friend, though looking more carefully at him I wonder if he is the bride's brother.

So many questions, but I suppose we'll never know for certain.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.