Author Topic: Soldier’s uniform  (Read 987 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Soldier’s uniform
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 August 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your comments.

This photo along with others have been in my husband’s possession since his father passed away in 2004.
We have been trying to establish who this couple are since then.

As I said, it is one side of a photo in which my husband’s maternal grandparents are the other side.
Consequently I believe this couple are boy and girl friend as were his grandparents at the time this photo was taken.

The “mug shot” I added, to ask whether it could be the same woman with the soldier, was taken from a family photo - my husband’s grandmother was the eldest child. I believe the mystery lady is a cousin who (after recently sending for a birth certificate after much research) was born before her mother married and consequently brought up by her grandmother. She is listed as a “daughter” on the 1911 census but had been listed as “grand daughter” on the 1901 census.

I too believe the two photos of the woman are of the same woman and thank you to those who agree with me.

This being the case, if the photo was taken in 1918 the lady would be about 22 years of age.

I have tried all ways to try to find a marriage as well as using Christian name only along with dob to find her on the 1939 register. All to no avail.

By finding out what the soldier’s regiment was, I was hoping to try to find men in the Neath area who were in that regiment and research each man to see if I could unearth anything.

I agree BillyF, I don’t believe she is married.
(My husband’s grandparents didn’t marry until 1922. We are waiting for the 1921 census to find out what job his grandmother did and where she was actually living. We know where she was living in 1911 and 1922.)

The soldier is definitely not related to my husband. Brothers of his grandmother were too young.
His grandfather’s brothers served in WWll.

It looks like I will have to put this photo away again and try one of the many other unknown people in photos we found after my father-in-law passed away.

Thank you all for your help.
Off to bed now barryd in Wales.

SNG