Author Topic: Mercantile Marine War Medal  (Read 288 times)

Offline MartynRIR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mercantile Marine War Medal
« on: Thursday 20 August 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to determine whether my Great Grt Uncle, Alfred John Hamblin, b.1873 Bridgwater, was entitled to a Mercantile Marine War Medal. He died at sea (presumed drowned), 13 June 1917, whilst serving on S.S. Red Tail. Details of him appear on the Mercantile Marine Mem. Part III. That's the Tower Hill memorial presumably.  I've searched the Nat Archives BT351 Index of First World War Mercantile Marine Medals but no joy. Two other Hamblins are there, but not him. He was a career mariner, so probably met the medal criteria I would have thought. Any other suggestions would be appreciated....

Also, am I able to find out exactly where the SS Red Tail was (log books perhaps?), on 13th June 1917.    Many thanks,  MartynRIR

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mercantile Marine War Medal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
According to https://www.benjidog.co.uk/Tower%20Hill/WW1%20Red%20Tail%20to%20Resto.html Red Tail was a sailing vessel, not a steamship. Anecdotal evidence is quoted that she was torpedoed off Dieppe, though I'm not sure how anyone would know that, as the ship simply went missing.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
The last crew agreement [1917] for RED TAIL official number 62006 is held at Kew in piece
BT 99/3284 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2480624

The very fact that he died in service and is commemorated in perpitutiy by the CWGC on the Tower Hill Memorial means he was entitled to the Mercantile Marine Medal and the British War Medal.

I cannot see his name mentioned in BT351 but I believe WW1 medals are no longer issued by the Registry of Shipping and Seamen for that period.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline MartynRIR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ and HMac, that's very helpful.
I can understand the "torpedoed" story. Alfred's elder brother was Harry Hamblin (my Gt Grandfather), a master mariner who owned and captained the Ermenilda of Bridgwater. That was sunk by a German submarine on 4th August 1916 in the English channel. The crew were set adrift in a small boat, and a time fuse bomb sunk the ship. Fortunately they were picked up by a Russian steamer and taken to Weymouth.  Undeterred, Harry continued to sail to France on the Otto, and the Ada, to Cherbourg and Morlaix. All detailed in his French issued Carte D'Identite, with his photograph and fingerprints.