Author Topic: Understanding entries in Lloyds Shipping Registers (1832)  (Read 608 times)

Offline johnb_tampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Understanding entries in Lloyds Shipping Registers (1832)
« on: Thursday 20 August 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
I am reading the entry of Thorp out of Hull in the 1832 register.  There is some information regarding abbreviations but no real indication of the meaning of every column.  Does anyone know of a guide to reading the registers.
Thanks - JB
Surnames - Beaumont, Bousfield, Dixon, Tidmas.  Locations - Orton, Hull, Watford, Silvertown.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding entries in Lloyds Shipping Registers (1832)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 20 23:53 BST (UK) »
The key to the columns is contained in the introductory pages at the very beginning.
If you need a wider explanation it might help if you can identify what items need clarified.
jcmac.

Offline johnb_tampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks jcmac - yep I get the abbreviations at the beginning that tell me it is a single deck brig that has had some repairs but I am trying to figure the number columns "114" - "12" - "11". I think it was built in 1829 and it had a classification of E1 (second class ship of the first quality).  It is the numbers that have me a little confused.  I am trying to get a feel for how big the ship was so I can research a picture to use in my family history. 
Surnames - Beaumont, Bousfield, Dixon, Tidmas.  Locations - Orton, Hull, Watford, Silvertown.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 20 05:40 BST (UK) »
114 tons

12 years old  (i think it is the survey that was done in 1829)

11 Feet of draught of water when loaded

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 20 06:44 BST (UK) »
John B - looks like a good source.
Could you post a link so that we could have a crack?

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 20 07:04 BST (UK) »

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 20 07:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks MCKa489.
cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline johnb_tampa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 August 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mckha489 - Hi Jack, I was beaten to the punch, but the link I used is https://hec.lrfoundation.org.uk/archive-library/lloyds-register-of-ships-online - it automatically links the register to google books where you can do a text search on the Register.  I also stumbled across the muster roles of Hull ships that had been partially indexed by Hull History Centre that I was not aware of before - http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk./research/research-guides/muster-rolls.aspx