Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 20th August  (Read 929 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 20th August
« on: Thursday 20 August 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Last night was another when I couldn't get to sleep, not quite as bad this time, only 3am when I went to sleep. So woke later again after some silly dreams. Felt agitated but don't know why.

Lovely warm sunny day so decided to go to my favourite beach as there's some rain forecast in the next few days. Had trouble getting parked but managed eventually. The beach was busier than I've ever seen it, families with children but having said that, there were massive spaces between them. If I'd seen anyone I knew and shouted them I doubt if they would be able to hear me. It just wasn't the lovely peaceful experience I usually have.

When I came home NN was on her front garden tending to the shrubs she planted some time ago, right next to my drive. I later saw that my security camera at the front of the house was showing alerts of her doing that area of her garden from my drive! The cheek of the woman! She'd moved just before I pulled in, must have spotted me coming. I'm not upset about it, just amazed at the sheer brass neck.

Cut the back lawn and idd some work in the back garden after lunch, pulled out a lot of Lysimachia, it tends to take over the garden. My Tesco order was due between 4 and 5pm. At about 3.15 my phone rang, didn't know the number so didn't answer or on the second time. So many scam calls about. Then heard my nice neighbours' dog barking, turned out the delivery man was at the door with all my groceries.

Usual wiping down etc. Back outside for a while reading.

Chicken Kiev for tea, just delivered. New potatoes, peas and salad. Strawberries for dessert.

TV and Rootschat. The days are all very much the same.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 20th August
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Set the alarm as I wanted to get up earlier today but felt so tired that I fell back to sleep.   A bright sunny day - so nice with a 25C temperature rather than the 32/33C of last week.   Sat outside for an hour this evening reading on the tablet.   Saw one of my neighbours and had a brief chat.

Misplaced a pair of scisssors and seemed to spend half the day trying to find them.   No luck!   Where the heck they are I've no idea.   Plenty of other scissors but this is my favourite pair and so frustrating not being able to locate them.

My eldest great nephew - Luke - got his GCSE results today.   He passed and is a very happy young man.  Very proud of him.

Cottage Pie tonight - sprinkled it with cheese thereby turning it into a Cumberland Pie!  Watched usual TV programmes and now on RC until time for bed.

Tomorrow visiting my niece at her home for the first time since lockdown which I'm looking forward to.

Sleep well, everyone. 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 20 06:44 BST (UK) »
Woke up feeling very tired and wiped out on this my first day off. I didn't see any friends or family today which suits me in a way as I feel I have no energy to be social.  I feel a dull headache throughout the day.  I did some shopping and got one book from the library.  Some pottering in the house.  Spent time on RC throughout the day.  Checked and responded to email. Checked Ancestry.  Some messages from distant matches but there still isn't one from my new highest match.  Perhaps I am just being impatient.  I hope she will respond - I would really like to know where our connection lies and if she might be a descendant of my unknown Great Grandfather. 
It is my Grandfather's birthday today.  I never knew him as he died a long time before I was born.  I remember as a child my Dad taking me to visit his Father's gravesite at St John, Annitsford.  It is an unmarked grave and I would not be able to find it again.  I start a biography for him on Find A Grave.  I have lots more to add when I get time.
I end the day feeling a bit guilty for all the things I have left undone.  Hopefully, I will have more focus and energy tomorrow.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Gosh Roobarb your NN seems determined to keep encroaching on your property!  She really seems unstoppable.  I wonder if she realises that this is a vexation for you. 

Congratulations for your Great nephew passing his GCSEs, Annette.  You must be feeling very pleased and proud of him.  It certainly hasn't been easy for the school children this year with all the disruption with their education.

I hope the scissors turn up. It is so vexing to misplace things.  It makes you want them even more once you realise something is lost.  Especially if it is a favourite item.  I hope they resurface today.

I have been reading the news recently about the students protesting about the exam grade system.  I feel very proud of these young people that they have such gumption to stand up for themselves.  Their futures depend on their grades so this is no small thing to be mismanaged.  Good on them to protest about the unfairness.

I wonder where Caroline is?  I do hope she is okay.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Gang.... I thought I would just drop in..... I see everything goes on much as before, same as here.
We had endless mist and fog last week, and now we have had really high winds for days, and nights.
It was howling everytine I woke up.  :'(
I made an early bread raid on town and nearly got blown along the road.
Hope everyone has a reasonable day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
Annette, hope you've managed to find the scissors, it's so frustrating when you lose things and seem to find all sorts of other things while you're looking! Hope you enjoy your visit to your niece.

RTL, you must feel exhausted after back to back shifts and all the travelling to work, it's understandable that you'd want some quiet time. I hope you soon get a response from your Ancestry match, you must be champing at the bit! I didn't know the name Annitsford, had to look it up, I see it's near Cramlington.
Don't feel guilty for not having done things, a rest will have done you good I'm sure.

Caroline is fine, she's taking a break from the diary entries but is reading them so I'm sure she'll be pleased you were asking.

Mowsehowse - lovely to hear from you! Yes, same old same old for many of us, not likely to change for a while I think. I see that people returning from Croatia now have to quarantine so there will probably be more people looking for a staycation, thronging the beaches of Devon and Cornwall! I don't think they'll be expecting mist, fog and high winds though!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
As you say Ladies, it is the same old almost every day

Glad Mowsehowse and Caroline are OK,  well all of you really, I read the diaries everyday, don't always contribute  but I miss the regulars when they go AWOL

Those by the coast must be having it very breezy, I  am a bit inland and it is very gusty here, it is days like this where I would drive to the coast just to watch the  the waves

Take care folks

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 August 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb.

Tide is out just now LM.... leave it till around 8:00 pm and I think it might be spectacular!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
My brother will be watching from Teignmouth I expect from the lounge window in the building MH.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London