Author Topic: Who remembers social distancing?  (Read 7622 times)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers social distancing?
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
Just announced on Radio, Bolton is in Lockdown again with 110 per 100,000

Oh dear, it is really creeping up.
Rossendale will be not far behind .

Viktoria,

Have modified my post, I missed off 2 noughts!
Not 1000 but 100,000 :-[V.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
Here we go again! Frighten the life out of everybody when the main reason the number of cases are going up is because they're finally doing more testing.

NO 

The number of cases will still be the same regardless of whether they are teasted or not. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Here we go again! Frighten the life out of everybody when the main reason the number of cases are going up is because they're finally doing more testing.

Obviously if there is little or no testing then you won't find the cases. But in the last month the number of tests processed per day has not risen substantially, but the number of cases has almost doubled. So you cannot say that the huge increase recently is just down to more testing

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

For example for cases the 7 day average for 1st Aug was 800 and on 1st Sep was 1529
Tests processed (7 day ave) on 1st Aug was 171,692 and on  1st Sep was 181,934.

At beginning of August 0.47% of people tested were positive and at beginning September it was 0.84%. That is a rise which cannot be attributed to more testing being done.

The 7 day average of cases by 4th Sept was 2,032, which obviously does not include the two latest days with cases just short of 3000 each. Number of tests processed figures are only given up to 2nd Sept which was 175,687.

The Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty is Tweeting ...
https://twitter.com/cmo_england?lang=en
 ----------
Can anyone verify this claim about Spain from another source?
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/can-europe-tame-pandemic-s-next-wave

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 18:15 BST (UK) »

NO 

The number of cases will still be the same regardless of whether they are teasted or not. 

Regards 

Chas

Well, obviously - but we are talking about the number of reported cases here i.e. those who have been tested. Those are the statistics (dirty word) the so called experts are supposedly working on.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry folks,  typo,not 1000, but 100,000.
Sorry .
Viktoria.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
It's happening here in Wales also. There has been an increase in cases and a local lockdown in Caerffili has been introduced. Other areas are under threat.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 19:37 BST (UK) »

Obviously if there is little or no testing then you won't find the cases. But in the last month the number of tests processed per day has not risen substantially, but the number of cases has almost doubled. So you cannot say that the huge increase recently is just down to more testing

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

For example for cases the 7 day average for 1st Aug was 800 and on 1st Sep was 1529
Tests processed (7 day ave) on 1st Aug was 171,692 and on  1st Sep was 181,934.

At beginning of August 0.47% of people tested were positive and at beginning September it was 0.84%. That is a rise which cannot be attributed to more testing being done.

The 7 day average of cases by 4th Sept was 2,032, which obviously does not include the two latest days with cases just short of 3000 each. Number of tests processed figures are only given up to 2nd Sept which was 175,687.

Over the last week or so there have been several reports of people having to travel hundreds of miles to get a test. Rightly or wrongly, I gained the impression (ie I think this was the government's explanation) that this was because a lot of testing capacity had been moved to the areas known to already have a larger number of cases.

So if I've understood this correctly, I think it means that a higher proportion of tests is being carried out in areas where Covid is more prevalent, which means there are probably going to be more positives than when testing was being done more evenly across the country.

If anyone understands this better than I do, please feel free to correct me. And if I am right, I'm certainly not saying that there are any grounds for complacency in areas where the rate is still currently low.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong on this, but I think the figures for incidence of COVID come from the ONS random household surveys, rather than from the testing of suspected cases (for the reasons you describe.)

They should provide a less biased result.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***