Author Topic: Who remembers social distancing?  (Read 7640 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who remembers social distancing?
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 14:02 BST (UK) »
I have visited our local Morrisons this morning.  They have two doors and they have been 'in' and 'out' all through the pandemic.  Now it's a free-for-all.  No counting people going in our out, no queuing outside or a single queue for the check-out.  Signs for social distancing have disappeared (not that we really need them) although the screens at the check-outs are still there.  However, no butchery department, no tea-shop, no cheese counter, no pie counter.  Although it was fairly quiet, there was very little social distancing.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
Four schools in my area, I don't see any school-buses, the kids either walk or get lifted by their grannies. Mostly the latter I think?  ;D

Skoosh.
That obviously means something else in this area compared with in Scotland :o ;D
The explanation is simple -  Supergran is Scottish. Lifting kids is easy for her. She can lift cars.  :)
Cowban

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

L I F T E D .... well here in New South Wales, Australia ... lifted can mean  'nicked' as in stolen or another meaning is 'Dug up"  .... so when someone steals your photos off your online tree, they have  LIFTED them.... but when you  are in your garden and deliberately put your spade below your spuds to bring them to the surface to harvest them, you have lifted them. 

But when Gran drives her car to school to pick up the kiddies.... Gran is COLLECTING them,  the kids are NOT hitching a lift as the transport  arrangement is made between the adults, ..  ;D ;D ;D so those kids are not lifted by their Grans .... super or otherwise...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Guy just told us what we already knew, Igor.

To be fair to Guy and Igor, I think they were just trying to calm the individuals on this thread. I was a very late riser this morning (just!) as I'm currently on New York time watching the tennis, so I've only just caught up on the recent posts on here. I could sense the mounting hysteria as people seem to be tuning in to just about every piece of news, and every statistic they can set their eyes on.

I wish everyone would calm down a bit. I

I see no hysteria, just people discussing the latest news.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
;D ;D ;D

L I F T E D .... well here in New South Wales, Australia ... lifted can mean  'nicked' as in stolen or another meaning is 'Dug up"  .... so when someone steals your photos off your online tree, they have  LIFTED them.... but when you  are in your garden and deliberately put your spade below your spuds to bring them to the surface to harvest them, you have lifted them. 

But when Gran drives her car to school to pick up the kiddies.... Gran is COLLECTING them,  the kids are NOT hitching a lift as the transport  arrangement is made between the adults, ..  ;D ;D ;D so those kids are not lifted by their Grans .... super or otherwise...

JM
Ah, so it's either stealing the kids, or putting a shovel underneath them!  ;D ;D

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 10 September 20 07:46 BST (UK) »
I think most of us do know about the stages of trialing drugs, etc., Guy

It's still worrying.

Depends what you mean by worrying! It is not uncommon that people undergoing vaccine trials fall ill; for instance in July a woman undergoing the same vaccine trial fell ill but it was not due to the vaccine but because she had multiple sclerosis.
The latest news is the person had transverse myelitis and was about to be discharged from hospital.

The problem now is to try to discover whether the transverse myelitis was caused by the administration of the vaccine or was caused by an unconnected reason. A 2018 study showed it could be caused by vaccines but it also occurs randomly in the population.

I suggest we should be reassured by the pause in the trail rather than worried as it shows the safety controls are working rather than being ignored in the rush to produce a vaccine.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 10 September 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
I'm not anxious  - perhaps less so than most of the  people on these threads. I worked in medical settings for a good part of my working life and am used to such reports and methods.  I  follow all the guidance, perhaps more strictly than most.

It's worrying because it's not usual for such pauses, etc, to be announced. There was a previous one back in July that wasn't announced. I'm not sure if it was the same condition as the present one. It might be that it was announce to dampen down the hype put out by the US President and others.

I am worried about the long term effects  on the physical and mental health of others and their economic situation.  I'm lucky that I have a large house and a garden, am affluent middle class, can get in a car and take trips to the coast and countryside, etc., etc. It's the poor, sick, homeless, etc. who suffer most.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 10 September 20 08:59 BST (UK) »
I suggest we should be reassured by the pause in the trail rather than worried as it shows the safety controls are working rather than being ignored in the rush to produce a vaccine.
Cheers
Guy
I think we all already assumed that the Oxford researchers knew how to follow proper procedures in carrying out trials so I don't see why we should be told to find this reassuring.
The illness suffered by the person in the trial may be nothing to do with the vaccine or it could be a side effect. Further investigation will clear this up.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
I am worried about the long term effects on the physical and mental health of others and their economic situation. ... . It's the poor, sick, homeless, etc. who suffer most.

That is kind to think of others.

It is awful to see people of all ages who have been badly affected, with their health and/or losing their work and incomes.
 ----------
Covid-19 was in the UK population during the end of 2019, being found in UK lung samples of a man who died last year.

Regarding vaccines, the media are watching developments here and everything gets reported.

UK Coronavirus has not gone away and we'll have to continue with Social Distancing etc, and live with it around us.

Best wishes all, Mark