Author Topic: Diary Saturday 22nd August  (Read 987 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Saturday 22nd August
« on: Saturday 22 August 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
Helicopter flew over last night about 1am, usually someone up to no good if they're flying at that time. Up a bit earlier, not much to report tonight, today has been pretty much a repeat of others.

Usual walk when rain had stopped, went down the narrow path, forgetting that there had been heavy rain during the night and more this morning. Don't usually go that way if there's a possibility of it being muddy in case I slip and go hurtling down the bank through the trees, it's pretty deserted around there. But I forgot. Wasn't muddy anyway, the vegetation meets overhead in some places.

Lunch, gardening, moved stuff around in the garage. Rain again so more housework  then tea and telly.

Feeling unhappy today, life feels so empty. Hope it's been a better day for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Saturday 22nd August
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 20 00:35 BST (UK) »
Saturday was very quiet and uneventful for me.

Did some chores including several loads of washing to clear the backlog. It was overcast in the morning with a horrible westerly wind blowing all day - the plus side was that the washing dried in no time.

Felt a little like going shopping but couldn’t think where to go - I try to avoid Saturday shopping, covid or no covid, so I thought there was no point going as there was nothing I wanted to buy.

Took the dog for her usual walk. She doesn’t like the wind much and being a nervous dog is scared by any rattling or clanging noises whipped up by the wind and anything blowing around the footpath. Big baby.

I am fairly sure I shouldn’t have done this but for dinner I reheated a chicken we had smoked earlier in the week, served with roast veg. No ill effects.  :)

Nothing worth watching on TV.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry you are feeling unhappy Roobarb.  More pampering time methinks?  Zoom groups? Facetime?
Imperative to arrange life so it gives some rewards.

We went to visit an elderly relative we had not seen since January, who is looking well and has been enjoying the peace and calm of Lockdown.  She made 150 community phone calls during July to ensure people weren't in desperate need.

Fortunately she has a good grasp of technology and a sense of humour, so she will ask Alexa for a joke or a story when she feels fed up!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, I'm the same in avoiding weekend shopping in normal times, I'd much rather go when it's quiet. Re the chicken, I regularly reheat cooked chicken, I do it in gravy to make a dinner or in curry sauce or pasta sauce. I think as long as it's hot enough there's no problem. I bought a chicken from M&S some time ago and it said on the packaging Do not reheat, so I Googled it. There were a lot of people up in arms about it, all saying that they regularly reheat leftovers and M&S were being ridiculous.

Mowsehowse, the problem is that my friends all seem to have things going on now that they can, most are in relationships or have grown up children that they're doing things with. I was in touch with lots of people at first, I still have phone calls and go for a weekly walk with a friend, that used to keep me going through the week but not so much now, I don't know why. And of course some are working - how very dare they?!!  ;D

Your relative sounds amazing, I'll have to take a leaf out of her book, although I don't have Alexa, no desire for one.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, relative is amazing.... mid eighties, and she has found a pilates video she likes on Youtube which she does most days, among other things!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, keep your spirits up,  someone said to me today   " we are all in this"  and that is how I am going to think of it, we are all in it for however long it takes,  some are fortunate  enough to have  a partner,  family  and friends, some have no one at all and that is who I feel for, I think we all get down days,  so spirits up  folks

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Woke up to a mainly sunny day but the wind was something else.   Lasted all through the day until eased late evening.

My sister was picking me up and we were going to meet our 2 friends at a garden centre.   Masks donned, hands sanitized, and a new way entering the store itself via the outdoor plant section.   On my way in I noted some trays of plants were vastly reduced as coming up to end of season.   Met friends and had a lovely chat and laugh.   So good to see them again.   After went back to plants again and bought 6 Impatiens £1.79, 6 Viola £1.19 and a hanging basket £3.99.   Worth it to have some nice colour outside even if they only last another month.   Also bought a Christmas present - a lovely scarf which was reduced from £19.99 to £6.00. When I got home sat outside for around an hour chatting to downstairs neighbour but the wind seemed to be getting worse so headed indoors.

Had ASDA chilled fish and chips - really very tasty and really enjoyed it.  Also glass of peach schnapps and lemonade.

Some Rootschat, soduko and tv - not necessarily in that order!

One of my friends that I'd met had been to the hairdresser this week which made me think 'when is my next appointment' - consulted diary and it is on Monday.   I'd have forgotten it, I know and can't believe it is 6 weeks since I last went. 

Certainly felt a lot better being out with friends in a 'normal' place.   I plan to do some other such 'outings' in the coming weeks even if I go alone.   Whilst social distancing is still in place it certainly feels more 'normal' to me and makes me feel better.   Just some short trips but more often than I've done of late.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 August 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
Saturday:

I am sorry to read too that you have been feeling unhappy today Roobarb.  That sounds like good advice from mowsehowse and Louisa Maud.  Perhaps you might find it helpful to try think of something different you might be able to do - such as a picnic with a friend, perhaps? Or perhaps a different walk in another place? Perhaps your mind is just reaching out for different type of stimulation?

Mowsehowse, this is amazing that your friend has made all these calls to help others.  What an uplifting story.  It is very cheering to hear about people like this and feel that in bad times there are always those out there who will help others when the chips are down.  People like Caroline, too, who has worked tirelessly in making ppe and the NHS volunteers.

Annette, I hope the scissors have turned up now.  They must surely be in the house somewhere.  Hopefully, you will come across them soon if they haven't turned up already.  I know from personal experience of mislaying things how frustrating this can feel until the missing item shows up.

Ruskie I am glad you enjoyed your meal with no ill effects.  :)

I am glad to report that on Saturday my highest new match responded to my message!  I think it is not going to be straightforward though in working out our connection.   She is in America and does not recognise any names I supplied.  She is willing to try to help though so I have sent an invite to view my tree.  She has some Irish heritage so it is possible that she might come from my Dad's side of the tree.  Or she still might be the missing link to my unknown Great Grandfather!!  Or did one of my ancestors have an affair and the child passed off as someone else's.  So many possibilities.
I think I will just have to be patient now and wait to hear further about any ideas that my new match might have.  She is coming through as a second cousin on my main matches so I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility to work out our connection.  I live in hope.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 August 20 20:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Louisa Maud and RTL, I'm a bit better today and trying to think positive. When I go for a walk with my friend J we try to vary the route, last week we ended up going a very convoluted one, we went down the narrow path through the woods that my friend hadn't previously been down then through an area of housing that we didn't know, enjoyed noseying at people's gardens and houses! As we got towards the sea we crossed over the end of the High Street, my friend said that I can now say I've been to the High Street! But you're right RTL, I do need something different after all these months.

Annette, you've got some great bargains there, pleased to hear you're getting out and about.

RTL, great news about your new match. Sounds like a lot of sleuthing work ahead but that's where it gets really interesting doesn't it? Hope she is the missing link to your great grandfather, good luck with it all.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham