Author Topic: Diary > Monday 24th August  (Read 506 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 24th August
« on: Tuesday 25 August 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Wonder if Caroline and I will end up posting at the same time! We shall see .....

Woke quite early but before I knew it was off to sleep again. Like Annette, I dreamt of someone from years ago, in my case it was a boyfriend from about twenty years ago. Don't think I'm likely to bump into him, very much doubt I'd recognise him if I did.

Felt very anxious again this morning, nothing to do with the dream. My friend J has work commitments that mean she could only join me for a walk on one day this week, Tuesday  when heavy rain is forecast. Will have to see if it eases later on in the day, not looking good.

After some more housework I went to the beach, it was a lovely day although a bit cooler than I expected. A few people walking on the beach, only a handful sitting on the sand. The tide was right out, it had left a number of shallow pools at one point, a bit of a challenge to cross without getting my feet wet. Walked to the next town before turning back, felt warmer by then but maybe it was just the walk that had warmed me.

Back home, the postman arrived five minutes later with my PVA glue. Don't know what's happened to my regular postie, she used to come about 1pm. Had a cuppa, the garden was wet from rain last night but deadheaded the bedding plants. Read some news, a local restaurant has closed as two staff members had Covid symptoms, both tested and awaiting results. Hope it comes to nothing.

Chicken Kiev for tea, made by Tesco not me, new potatoes, peas, tomatoes, avocado. No strawberries left, pitted black cherries and yogurt instead. Was thinking about when I returned from holiday last year, late September, I went into Sainsbury's local and bought Scottish strawberries and mince pies! Both lovely.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday 24th August
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
Well looks like up I'm first......

I slept well and woke and a reasonable time feeling rested....
more washing out on the line as today looks like the last decent day before we get hit by storm Francis...
after breakfast I got the vacuum out and all downstairs done... am I fed up with getting rid of tiny flies in the conservatory.... how many of these critters can there be...
Next I tackled all the windows that my darling grandsons had pressed their faces up to looking out into the garden or making faces on the big  window that's between the hall and the living room... dont you just love them... so all windows downstairs are done with my Koh product... next kitchen got a good clean...
Oven next.. luckily it's got a pyrolitic cleaning system so just take all shelves and side racks out switch it on to the setting and leave for hour and a half to do its thing.... comes out looking brand new every time even after it's installation 11 years ago... amazing best advice given to me by a friend...
OH not too brilliant today and quite grumpy so left him to do what ever he was doing...
after lunch went out into the garden did some dead heading, chopped back dead and broken leaves on the cardoon... the heads are so heavy on it that some are bent right over, no good staking them, tried that last year and with winds expected tomorrow we'd soon loose them... like to leave the heads for the birds as they love them once they've flowered...
Thought I'd see if O.H was going to come outside we had discussed cutting back all the lavender borders... went up to pick more courgettes.... gave some to my daughter but still got loads!
Oh good he's appeared all ready to get to work, he used the hedge trimmer and the lavender was soon finished and looking like it had had quite a severe hair cut... the smell was heavenly despite the flowers having all died off now.
Next he got out his new long handled pruner that I bought yesterday... it's quite heavy but a good length and blade has different angles it can be set at...he set to work on the ornamental pear we've got which gets very straggly and usually takes us a good many hours to do... all done in a couple of hours looking much better...
I had a good chop at next doors unruly bushes that invade our garden too
Sat and had a nice cuppa in the sunshine..
Final trimming a few very long branches that had shot up on our purple acer then OH mowed the lawn while I got dinner organised as by this time it was 6pm.... I was cooking a gammon joint in the Oven with cider and plums...
Finally a shower and hair wash and we ate around 7.30, I had salad with mine OH had new pots and runner beans... washed down with nice glass of rosè... I know it's Monday and we shouldn't be drinking but we'd worked hard... what are we here for if not to enjoy life.... there's not much else going on to feel great about at the moment...
Caught up with University Challenge... both did quite well tonight ..
Messaged daughter as they're in process of trying to buy a newer larger car... had a Polo for last 7 years but it's really not big enough with the boys growing and all the clobber they cart round so SiL test drove a year old Tiguan and a brand new Mazda.... can't make up their minds... 6K difference in price but the Tiguans previous owner was a smoker and daughter said they really noticed the smell today when they went for another look... not going to get rid of that easily and certainly don't want that smell with the boys in the car... youngest one suffers car sickness anyway so that wouldn't help... he wears these special bands that have pressure points on them... seems to do the trick ... either that or 8 hour journey to North Devon last year!
Well that's my day today a busy one but at least got things done and the sun was shining....
What has everyone else been up to i wonder ...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 24th August
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 01:03 BST (UK) »
Oh no Roobarb... we've done it again! Posted at the same time... I waited too incase you did it first.... do you want to ask mods to amalgamate them or shall I?

Sorry you've not had a good day... fancy dreaming about old boyfriend from so long ago... hope they were happy memories!
Lovely to walk along a beach, I love it when we've holidayed by the sea, just take of shoes roll up trousers and paddle ....
What you going to do with the PVA glue ...
Barton down hatches day tomorrow I think...
Hope you have a better one...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Have asked them to merge them Caroline, another case of great minds!

Yes, pleasant enough memories although not a particularly significant relationship, that'll be why it took me half the day to remember his surname!

I'm going to do some more acrylic pouring with the glue, trying out adding some silicone this time, see what results I get.
Thanks for good wishes.

Threads merged.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 01:20 BST (UK) »
Ok, we'll manage ine if these days to get it sorted!

I've sent you a PM

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 24th August
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
Goodness me Caroline, what a lot you got done, all that housework then gardening too. And cooking. I think you definitely deserved that glass of wine or even two  ;)
Smell of cigarettes in a car tends to get embedded in the upholstery, not nice. I use the acupressure bands if I go on boat trips when abroad, have found them very effective.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham