Author Topic: Settlement Certificate and second wife  (Read 210 times)

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Settlement Certificate and second wife
« on: Tuesday 25 August 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
My gggg gf (Edward Plant) died in 1795 in Halesworth.  His widow (Sarah) then moves to Wisbech with her several surviving children.  I cannot find a birth for either Edward or Sarah.

I cannot find a settlement/removal for Sarah.  However, in 1769, there is a settlement cert for an Edward Plant, wife Eliz, 2 children and one on the way at Crowland which states that Edward's legal place of settlement is Wisbech.  Elizabeth died shortly after this.

So is it likely that Sarah has moved to Wisbech because that is her late husband's legal settlement place?  I know at least one of her children was apprenticed by the Overseers as a tailor.  Edward and Sarah had moved around quite a bit (poss IoW, Great Yarmouth and Halesworth), but he was a cooper so that could explain it.  If this settlement certificate is my Edward, I also think he may have left his second wife and married Sarah bigamously.

Furthermore, they lived in Halesworth for around 11 years (well 6 childen were baptised there) so wouldnt they have acquired that as their place of legal settlement?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Plant - Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire
Bothamley, Pateman, Roffe,  - Northamptonshire
Thurlby, Baker, Kilbon - Lincolnshire
Hurry, Bishop - Cambridgeshire
Pretty, Coulson - Rutland
Shaw - Nottinghamshire
De Rippe - Rutland, Middlesex, Carlow