Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 25th August  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary 25th
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
So very sorry Viktoria to hear what has happened to your dear friend. As Caroline said, we're all here for you, we've been cheered many times by your funny stories and now we're here to try and help you through your distress.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I am so sorry to read about what has happened to your dear friend.  My heart goes out to you - it is clear from your post how much you love her and how very hard this is for you. 
Although, it is natural for anyone to have thoughts of 'if only' at times like this try not to dwell on a phone call not made.  Try to just think about all your happy memories instead.  What an enduring relationship you have had all down the years from your evacuee days.  She sounds like a very special person in your life.
I found myself tearing up when I read your line:

.. 'she contributed to me being probably the most happiest evacuee ever.'

What a beautiful tribute this is.  This is such a lovely comment - who could wish for better than this - that they had made someone else's life happy.

It sounds like your friend is in good hands now Viktoria.  She has children who will be seeking the best for her and the doctors and nurses will be ensuring she is comfortable and peaceful. 

I am sure you are in all our thoughts now during this difficult time Viktoria.  We are all here for you.

Take care.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 August 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.
No phone call as yet and I won’t phone I don’t think until I have heard just what decision the family and Drs have arrived at.
Spoke with my sister today ,she was a very unhappy evacuee going to a very different type of person after we left relatives.
Our memories are diametrically opposed ,she has tried to blot it all out whilst I strive to keep it alive .
She never goes back , has no interest.
She was nearly seven when we left Manchester ,I three and a half .
 I keep thinking of A.E .Houseman’s poem, where he mentions “The land of lost content”.
I was lucky ,very lucky.
I won’t ever forget the things that have stood me in good stead, gained from the people I was lucky to be with.
In many ways they formed me more than my parents.
Thanks again everyone ,I hope you all sleep,well and have a good day tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 August 20 23:52 BST (UK) »
It's good that you can cherish those treasured memories Viktoria, I hope they will help you, whichever decision is made that is best for your dear friend.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 August 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Viktoria- as you say you were very lucky to have had such a wonderful experience and I'm sure they were probably not as common as the awful one your sister had...
I hope that you hear from the family over the next few days as to how things will progress for your dear friend..
Take care and we're here for you at all times.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK