Author Topic: Keen Or Beal  (Read 740 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Keen Or Beal
« on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for many years for the Baptism and parentage of MARGARET KEEN born About 1788 at Beal, opposite Holy Island and near Ancroft and Berwick.She married Cuthbert Elliott (date and place unknown) and they lived initially in the parish of Lucker and later Cheswick in the parish of Ancroft where she is buried in 1864. There is someone of the right name and year of birth baptised further south at Lesbury but that is not mine.
Can anyone help? There were several people at Beal called Keen, descendants of Joseph Keen and Eleanor Duncan but no one who had a daughter baptised Margaret then.  She consistently names Beal as her birthplace on the census.
Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: KEEN OF BEAL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 August 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
I cant see a Bapt for Margaret but FreeREG has;

Marriage;
28 May 1777, St Nicholas, Kyloe   
Joseph KEEN/Elizabeth ANDERSON
Groom of the Parish, Bride of Belford
Witnesses, Isabella GOODWILL/Thos. ANDERSON

Burial same Church;
10 Dec 1786 ELEANOR Keen , Daug of Joseph/Elizabeth, abode Beal***

There is also a Burial of JOSEPH Keen there    25 Nov 1776, abode Beal***

As Cuthbert/Margaret name children Joseph/Elizabeth I think they are a good possibility for her Parents.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: KEEN OF BEAL
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 August 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
There is a JOSEPH Keen buried 18 Oct 1833, St Anne, Ancroft, age 84 (1749)
Abode Berrington Law parish of Kyloe
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Keen Or Beal
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 20 07:41 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have these baptisms from Lucker St. Hilda:

Elizabeth Elliott born 27 Jun 1807, baptised 19 Jul 1807 1st daur of Cuthbert Elliott, husbandman, native of Hulne parish of Alnwick by his wife Margaret Keen native of Beal

Isabella Elliott born 23 Jul 1808, baptised 27 Nov 1808 2nd daur of Cuthbert Elliott, husbandmn native of Hulne, parish of Alnwick by his wife Margaret Keen native of Beal.  buried Lucker 6 Mar 1813, Lucker, age 4 yrs.

Christopher Elliott born 19 May 1810, baptised 4 Jun 1810 1st son of Cuthbert Elliott, servant, by his wife Margaraet Keen, native of Beal, Kyloe Parish

Mary Elliott born 2 May 1812, baptised 5 Jul 1812 3rd daur of Cuthbert Elliott, coachman, native of Hulne, Simonburn Parish by his wife Margaret Keen, native of Beal in parish of Kyloe

Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
I am also having problems with a Thomas Keen born abt 1779 who could be from the same family. On the 1850`s census it has that he was born in Kyloe and on the 1860`s hes born in Beal. I have found neither his birth nor his marriage to Sarah. Their children`s births are also impossible to find. I wondered if he was also a son of Joseph Keen and Elizabeth Anderson as the first child baptism I found for them was Joseph in 1789 in Warenford but theres 10 years in between their marriage and first child.

The burial for Joseph Keen in 1776 was Joseph Keens father was born about 1716.

I also found that Eleanor Keen married Thomas Anderson in Church of the Holy cross Chatton 18th Jun 1775 with witnesses John Revealy and Joseph Keen. I wonder if Thomas was Elizabeths brother and Eleanor was Josephs sister

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
Don't know if you have these baptisms from Lucker St. Hilda:

Elizabeth Elliott born 27 Jun 1807, baptised 19 Jul 1807 1st daur of Cuthbert Elliott, husbandman, native of Hulne parish of Alnwick by his wife Margaret Keen native of Beal

Isabella Elliott born 23 Jul 1808, baptised 27 Nov 1808 2nd daur of Cuthbert Elliott, husbandmn native of Hulne, parish of Alnwick by his wife Margaret Keen native of Beal.  buried Lucker 6 Mar 1813, Lucker, age 4 yrs.

Christopher Elliott born 19 May 1810, baptised 4 Jun 1810 1st son of Cuthbert Elliott, servant, by his wife Margaraet Keen, native of Beal, Kyloe Parish

Mary Elliott born 2 May 1812, baptised 5 Jul 1812 3rd daur of Cuthbert Elliott, coachman, native of Hulne, Simonburn Parish by his wife Margaret Keen, native of Beal in parish of Kyloe

Yes, I have all these, thank you 2zpool. It was helpful of the vicar to always give details of the chil,s mother but I’m still searching for her. Getting closer, though!

Val
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
I am also having problems with a Thomas Keen born abt 1779 who could be from the same family. On the 1850`s census it has that he was born in Kyloe and on the 1860`s hes born in Beal. I have found neither his birth nor his marriage to Sarah. Their children`s births are also impossible to find. I wondered if he was also a son of Joseph Keen and Elizabeth Anderson as the first child baptism I found for them was Joseph in 1789 in Warenford but theres 10 years in between their marriage and first child.

The burial for Joseph Keen in 1776 was Joseph Keens father was born about 1716.

I also found that Eleanor Keen married Thomas Anderson in Church of the Holy cross Chatton 18th Jun 1775 with witnesses John Revealy and Joseph Keen. I wonder if Thomas was Elizabeths brother and Eleanor was Josephs sister

Hello again GeordieSue, I have this Thos Keen born 1779c as son of Joseph and Elizabeth Anderson. I believe I confirmed this from the tree Shoreswood on Ancestry whose owner was very helpful. Remember that not everyone was baptised and not all records have survived. I expect you know about crossborder marriages. Most of my ancestors in this area must have had them as so many were Presbyterians and few records survive although I do have some indexes if you need any looking up.

Thomas and Sarah and children lived at Twizel Mill near Warenford. A few Keens seem to have moved down to Twizel from Beal. It’s just a few miles from where I live now. I think he died at Alnwick area in 1867.
Hope this helps.
Val
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Val
 I have the death certificate for Thomas. He died 15th March 1867 in Clayport Alnwick and was buried at St Hildas Lucker on the 18th March on the records on freereg. I haven`t found his marriage to Sarah and I only found baptisms for 2 of the 3 children Elizabeth born 1806 in Warenford and Thomas born 1810 in Warenford. Sarah Keen was my husbands 3 x great grandmother born abt 1819 in Beal. There would be a large gap before Sarah was born and I havent beeen able to find any more siblings. The Keens seemed to be moving around in Adderstone in 1861 and 1871

Susan

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 August 20 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Val
 I have the death certificate for Thomas. He died 15th March 1867 in Clayport Alnwick and was buried at St Hildas Lucker on the 18th March on the records on freereg. I haven`t found his marriage to Sarah and I only found baptisms for 2 of the 3 children Elizabeth born 1806 in Warenford and Thomas born 1810 in Warenford. Sarah Keen was my husbands 3 x great grandmother born abt 1819 in Beal. There would be a large gap before Sarah was born and I havent beeen able to find any more siblings. The Keens seemed to be moving around in Adderstone in 1861 and 1871

Susan

Hello again! There’s a lot of confusion about place names and parishes in that area. Beal is a place in the Parish of Kyloe. Both Beal and Kyloe were in the Diocese of Durham up to 1844 so I usually try both Durham and Northumberland counties before then. Several places nearby on the mainland were in the parish of Holy Island just to complicate matters! In 1841 Thomas and Sarah Keen were living at Ross which is on the mainland opposite Holy Island. If a birthplace is stated in records as Holy Island it does not always mean the island itself

You mentioned that Thomas and Sarah were married a long time before their first child was born. So do you have a marriage record for them? Often there were more children born but because they did not live long they do not appear in records.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I feel I have a vested interest in Thomas Keen because originally I thought he could be the brother of my Margaret Keen and then I discovered he had moved to Twizel which I know and had other unconnected ancestors living at! Have you looked at Shoreswood,s Tree on Ancestry? He is connected to the daughter Sarah And was helpful when I enquired about my Keen ancestry.

Val
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
DARLING (Carham)