Author Topic: Johanna McKay birth 1882 not found, confusion re Mother  (Read 2973 times)

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna McKay birth 1882 not found, confusion re Mother
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
hi
 for Hugh Stewart Also search Ewen gaelic for Hugh
a Ewen and Henrietta in Uig, Ross and Cromarty 1881
possibly Ewen's brother with them and a daughter

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
maggbill, if you read reply number 9 you will see that I said I thought that the 1882 birth registration for Johanna McKay was the most likely one for Johanna McLeod.
Reply number 14 explains why her name was not registered under McLeod.
Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi FSLT
Thanks for this reminder - do believe you are right of course!
Raonull re your post number 39 - re two Johanna McLeods or relevant age in 1901 census in Lochs.  Have checked them - first is part of a big family of McLeods age 19.  The other is Johanna McLeod, domestic servant, age 20,  listed in 5 Grimshader, living with George and Maggie McRae, a daughter in law and 3 grandchildren.  Could be our Johanna???
Also re your post about Hugh Stewart, father of our Donald Stewart - Gaelic name Ewen - 1881 census.  I do believe that this is our Hugh and Henrietta - and I know that I am straying from the original focus of all these posts - but will attach it here - and another mystery - "John Stewart" - possibly a brother - but there is a very strange "relationship" term... looks like "Accomanist" ?????  Must say that it is the first Isles census where I have seen  "Tinsmith" in the midst of so many crofters!  McLeods on the page too.!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Sorry meant to mention that the 1881 Ewen and Henrietta Stewart census is in Parish of Uig, village of Eneclate.  Can you enlighten me as to this location, in regards to Loch, and Barvas?  Google maps might help!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
hi
The Hamlet of Eneclate, is south of Barvas in Shawbost,
Donald had a Sister Rachel

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
i m sure i ll be corrected if i m wrong
i think accomanist has something to do with music

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
hi maggbill
the address 37 Kiln on that census would look like this
photo of Norse mill And kilns Shawbost

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Wow,

When I saw "Kiln" - the only thing i thought of was what is used for "baking" ceramics lolol!  And I know that the Highland Travellers "on the road" lived in "bow tents" - but have never seen these types of "abodes"... They look really "ancient" ... "Norse"?  Amazing. 

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 13:44 BST (UK) »
"Shawbost Norse Mill and Kiln A short walk from the main A858 near Shawbost next to Loch Roinavat is a renovated pair of thatched buildings used in past times to process barley grain into meal. The buildings give a very rare glimpse into the Scandinavian past of Lewis. The mill was powered by water from the stream from the nearby Loch Roinavat."  So in fact they weren't actually "houses"??!!