Author Topic: DNA success WALES common surnames  (Read 10842 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: DNA success WALES common surnames
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 04:07 BST (UK) »
It's actually logical the child is registered under the mother's name which is now her married name .

When child is born before wedding sometimes the children like Emma's first 2 (& my own grandma )had birth father's surname as their middle name .

On birth certificate or baptism 1903
The eldest says ... Dorcas Cornthwaite ROBERTS base born child of Emma ROBERTS

I'm going to phone a CORNTHWAITE descendant in Australia today .
Emma was known as Momma

It may be a while before more photos can be distributed  between the family members .I see my mother's tree as the all encompassing one so I will put photos on there asap
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 September 22 10:42 BST (UK) »
If you may be related to
Martha Ann JONES
on  PRICE line check out the photos of Harriet price and her brother Robert in reply 5

If you click on photo on the tree you can see which of the tree owners who have shared it
Are a DNA match to yourself. The match might be too distant to match my branch but could match other of our proven relatives

We now have 5 matches to Martha Ann JONES 1850 which show up on thru lines to descendants of her brother Abiah Roger JONES but also to a  descendant of sistet Dorcas who has given me access to DNA results

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 September 22 22:27 BST (UK) »
as we go back and find matches to my mothers great great grandparents
from daughter gson + nephews
thru KNOWN cousins 2nd Cousins and their children
to unknown but now identified  2nd and 3rd cousins once or twice removed

to a  half 3rd cousin 3x R

i realise that my own cousins and myself do not match all the same descendants + understand why it is important to have different generations testing and preferably more than one person of each generation if you want to go beyond matches to your 3x great grandfather or 3rd cousins .

3 generations of a family descended from my mothers "x Ggparents also tested I match all 3 generations (  my 3C1xR, their son $C+ the Gson my 4C 1R )

but my cousin does not match the grand son and the mother + son dont show up to him on the shared match function

knowing this if i contact any matches  I ask them if they match anyone descended from the Jones siblings Dorcas Abiah Harriet and Martha Ann JONES
sometimes they dont but share matches with people who do so we can double check connections via paper trail evenif weve inherited different bits of our mutual ancestors dna

ive shared the link to this thread with some of my matches

+ for those who want the social story of the JONES CHILDREN of BRY GOLEN farm heres the link

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=813834.msg7295020#msg7295020

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 September 23 21:48 BST (UK) »
Update extra success

I now have a DNA thru line to the next generation up
(Abiah JONES :wife. )Rebekah THOMAS 1808 had a brother Benjamin and I have a 4th cousin (50cm ) thru him.

She has lots of information + local knowledge and I have been able to tweak the top of the tree .

She didn't trust the thru line and some of my details  were wrong
but everything now fits
 she matches  3 generations of my family . Descended from grandson of  Rebekah Thomas

my grandfather Edward Jones (1898)