Author Topic: DNA success WALES common surnames  (Read 10833 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: DNA success descendants for Welsh JONES family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes I know what you mean about dodgy thru lines but all these are confirmed by finding half siblings with each other on various censuses and lines followed carefully
And with discussions with the descendants and their elders .
One knew their grandmother was adopted and the other that their grandmother was brought up by birth father . Tho he didn't know which of his grandparents had the photo of their grandmother  in the collection who turned out to be Martha JONES

My favourite of Abiah's  sisters is Dorcas JONES
Matches to her don't show up on thru lines because of closed or unlinked  trees or descendants who haven't DNA tested but have researched well
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA success WALES common surnames
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 March 22 15:40 GMT (UK) »
To continue with success story one of my mother's second cousins had a very small tree and had not put herself as the home person on it . So I couldn't identify her lineage til years after when I came across her grandfather surname CORNTHWAITE in a tree of a much more distant relative .

A great aunt had told the tale of Abiah sister
Dorcas JONES 1847 who  ran away with a farmhand James  ROBERTS  aged 15  disowned by father but brother must have stayed in touch because knew she had 10  children (. i've actually found total of 15 )

*  her 7th daughter Emma ROBERTS b 1882  who  worked in coalmines as a teenager had 6 children with CORNTHWAITE. Surname
She followed their father to South Africa to mine gold baptised 2 of the children on returnto Manchester 1907 . Emma didn't actually marry James CORNTHWAITE until 1915 when he was ill
he died 1917  she had another son in 1919 who was also given CORNTHWAITE surname ! 
They are the most exciting of my DNA matches .....so far

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 March 22 23:17 BST (UK) »
WE Have 5 more descendants of Dorcas

A second cousin . his son and their close DNA match who hasn't worked out exact parentage yet

They descend thru daughters with surnames ROBERTS + EDEN & back to JONES

They matches each other  by over 700cm ( I suspect 1 is uncle )
the son matches at second cousin level
2 of the next generation
have also tested
my mother doesn't match because the separation of generations is too great .

on paper I have gone back another generation

my cousin is amused that we come from a line of JONES publican farmer butchers since 1750 ...His own father was a butcher ..both sons became vegetarian !

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 April 22 21:05 BST (UK) »
If anyone wants to look at the actual workings out of the DNA link the latest connection to DORCAS descendants are here

Mr T is grand child her daughter Amelie ROBERTS m Eden .

Ms Y is grandchild of  daughter Emma ROBERTS m CORNTHWAITE as is Mr Y ( half siblings parents WRIGHT. + Unknown

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=860581.msg7296238#msg7296238

I'm going to learn to use different DNA analysis tools

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 April 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
Speaking of different genealogical DNA tools.. have you tried using GDAT? It has a fairly steep learning curve but it's brilliant as an analytical tool. Plus it has a very nice support group on Facebook, which includes the original programmer of the software.

I've personally turned to it to try and find a (potentially) missing paternal grandfather, but I'm working with small matches of 20cM or (much) less.

As an aside: while researching what may be *not* my family tree in North Wales, I've come across many an instance where Price was mistaken for Prince, and vice versa.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 April 22 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks treedigger I'm not very technology minded so new applications are a challenge but it's good to know .
So far I haven't found any confusions of PRICE with PRINCE

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 June 22 21:39 BST (UK) »
Update
The 93 year old in reply 4
Has unfortunately passed away

Part 1
He was Derek WRIGHT brought up mainly by his momma Emma CORNTHWAITE and ended up running Barnados children's homes with his wife

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=862738.0

the fostering adoption tradition carries on

.his grandaughters are adoptees

I was a foster parent  too .

Derek didn't do his DNA but his famy  knowledge along with  DNA from other family members is helping a close relative work out his birth father

# narrowed down to 2 possibles now

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 02:46 BST (UK) »
For picture and life story of Derek Wright
See

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=862738.0

Now investing a potential link to Rebekah Thomas the matriarch .on my tree the spelling has reverted to Rebecca as that is the more prelevsnt of the spellings on records

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 03:23 BST (UK) »
Dorcas JONES 1847 who  ran away with a farmhand James  ROBERTS  aged 15

*  her 7th daughter Emma ROBERTS b 1882 had 6 children with CORNTHWAITE. Surname
Emma didn't actually marry James CORNTHWAITE until 1915 when he was ill
he died 1917  she had another son in 1919 who was also given CORNTHWAITE surname ! 

Quite often people are surprised when an illegitimate child is born to a married woman who's husband is deceased/errant & registered under the surname of the 'deceased'/errant husband.

Regardless of the 'husband' being 'deceased'/errant, the fact here is...the widowed/deserted wife has the same surname by marriage/law i.e. any other children she has (unless she remarries) will also share her marital surname.

I'm unsure whether in England/Wales an illegitimate child would be registered by the mothers' marital surname & her maiden surname?

In Scotland the child would be registered under both surnames & if the father was present at the registration then his surname would be indexed too (3 surnames all together) & possibly any other surname she was know by?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"