Author Topic: Where is Philip from?  (Read 510 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Philip from?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I would agree on Arthington, looked at both Genuki and the ancient transcriptions of Adel which shows [Mar. 9. William & Mary, 2 twines, of Philip Scatchard, of Ardgto]
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 August 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
I've been making tea - thanks for everyone's observations so far.

I've had a chance to look at the images on Ancestry and FMD now.The images on Ancestry and FindMyPast are clearly from two different registers. FindMyPast seems to be an orignal copy of the Bishop's Transcript (at least, that's what it says at the top of the image) and if I read it right, it says "Willm & Mary Scatchard 2 twins of Philip Scatchard baptized March 9o 1636". There is no place mentioned. The Ancestry entry appears to say "March 9 {William Mary} Scatchard Phillip : Ar. Twins". I'm fairly confident that the last word is "Twins". Judging by the look of the Ancestry image, I wonder if this is not a much later copy of the original register, and the later transcriptions have mis-read this as a place name? Of couyrse, that still leaves the meaning of the "Ar." to be discovered. If another register with twins in it can be found we might have something to compare with.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 August 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure why you think that the Ancestry image is later.  One copy is the parish register so the original entry, and the other is the Bishop's transcript image which was a copy of the parish register made to be sent to the Diocese at the end of the year - so possibly two different hands. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 August 20 22:09 BST (UK) »
I think the Ancestry image is later based on the style of the handwriting. The Bishop's Transcript appears to me to be quite typical of the script used at the time when compared to other PR entries of a similar period. The writing on the FindMyPast site's copy of the register appears to me to be a style that I would associate with a much later period. For comparison, I've attached th Scatchard name as written on the Bishop's Transcript and the PR from FindMyPast. Having said all that, I'm not a handwriting expert, so I'm quite happy to be corrected :)
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 August 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
I've also been looking at other pages of the parish register on Ancestry. There seem to be a lot of one or two letter abbreviations after the father's name, e.g. Ar, Ad, Br, E, K, Ar Banks. I think these must be abbreviations for neighbouring places, so Ar may well be Arthington, E for Eccup.