Author Topic: Wilding/Llangullo & a lady believed in their service!  (Read 1535 times)

Offline MrsBear51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilding/Llangullo & a lady believed in their service!
« on: Sunday 30 August 20 21:26 BST (UK) »
Greetings,
My first time here and I'm after some help/advice, please?
I am researching a family tree on behalf of a family friend and I am looking for pointers on how to find any information on a lady called Elizabeth Owen(s), born about 1803 (assuming she was 21 when her son was born, she could have been much younger and location of birth unknown).
She had a son called John Owen in about 1824, Bromfield, Herefordshire.
The family of John Owen(s) believe that his mother was in service as a housekeeper or similar in a place called Pennyclaud (no idea of the correct spelling), Llangullo with a family called Wilding and John was illegitimate as a result of a liaison (forced or consensual) between his mother and one of the Wilding men.
I am an experienced family tree researcher, but due to the years of birth and locations that are unfamiliar to me, I'm struggling to make any headway. I do not know if John had any siblings, so can't find him via that circuitous route.
I have a marriage cert from 1852 where he married a lady called Harriet Webb in Hatfield where he lists his father as being William Owens a farmer (the family think this is a fake name), with the bride coming from Hatfield and the groom coming from Richards Castle, Salop.
Due to the lack of 'official' documentation from anything prior to 1837, I am happy to admit defeat, but not before I've asked a few questions to those who might know.
Any thoughts would be most gratefully received.
Thank you.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilding/Llangullo & a lady believed in their service!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 August 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
There are definitely Wildings at that property, but towards the end of the 19th century

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 08:21 BST (UK) »
There is this. The name and birth year fit, but not the birthplace. Was he born in Herefordshire or Radnorshire? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V552-8GL

1871 Census: Hatfield, Herefordshire
John Owens . Head . M . 47 . Llangunllo, Radnorshire
Harriet Owens . Wife . F . 41 . Pencombe, Herefordshire
Edward Owens . Son . M . 13 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
James G Owens . Son . M . 10 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
William H Owens . Son . M . 7 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
Fredrick Owens . Son . M . 5 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
Lechmere Owens . Son . M . 3 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
Edmond Owens . Son . M . 1 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
Richard Smith . Servant . M . 18 . Hatfield, Herefordshire
Ann Davis . Servant . F . 16 . Thornbury, Herefordshire
Affiliate Image Identifier: GBC/1871/2713/0014
GS Film: 000835386 . Digital Folder: 004036028 . Image: 00419

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
Baptism;
21 Dec 1823, St Cynllo, Llangynllo, Radnorshire
JOHN Owen, Mother ELIZABETH , Spinster
Abode Penyclawdd
(FreeREG)

There is also a WILLIAM Owen Bapt St Harmon 20 Dec 1827 , Mother ELIZABETH, Spinster
Abode Pengwerny
Maybe the same Elizabeth?

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MrsBear51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 September 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks all
@Talacharn I am aware of the 1871 census returns you have very kindly posted. It is on behalf of one of these children's relatives that I am doing the research. I have found that Richard varies his location of birth a bit when providing information for the census, but I am happy that they are the right family as there aren't too many Lechmeres around.
@Trish1120 - fantastic bit of detective work - I think it probably is a brother which gives me a little more to work with.
@Mabel Bagshawe - thanks so much for finding that - as far as I'm aware, most of Richards children more or less all became farming folk, so there stands a good chance that is where it all started.
Thank you!